Going to give up on EX2 - mac user

Hi all,

I had such high hopes for the EX2 4tb model, but slow transfer speeds, unreliable time machine back ups and the inability to properly utilise a fast fibre optic internet connection have made me pretty much convinced that it is not for me.

I’m relatively tech savvy although my experience with NAS type systems is limited. Unless you guys can suggest ways to resolve Mac users using EX2 issues, I think I’m going to have to sell the device. I’ve hunted round, and there doesn’t seem to be a definitve answer on resolving stability with macs.

If anyone wants to make me an offer, I paid £280 - I’ll accept £230… Or a near offer.

Cheers,

Rob

Hello Cloudbursting, can you share what firmware version you have installed? and what OS version are you using? You can check the following link to see if they help.

When transferring large files to or from a Personal Cloud drive, performance may be slower than expected

Hi, thanks for the message Jubei04.

I’m using the latest firmware and the latest Mac OS. My internet is BT fibre optic (UK) and I have downloads speeds which average around 50 to 70 mps.

Large files I can accept they will take a while. My initial time machine backup was about 500gb and took around 4 days solid… With the mac connected via Ethernet to the network too. What I find a lot harder to accept are the smaller time machine back ups since… 6gb took around 14 hours. Plus, it won’t keep the connection consistently and keeps dropping.

I’ve tried rebooting, restoring to factory settings, etc, etc… But I just can’t trust it. I’m seeing a lot of people here and elsewhere having issues too. It is meant to be a consistent reliable information hub, but it just can’t be trusted. Great concept, poor delivery.

1 Like

Hello,

I got also problems on using it on a Mac OS.

I put my iTunes library on it, it takes long time to start iTunes and to download podcasts on the WD EX2.

Unless I reinitiase it frot the control panel. Which takes minutes too. So not efficient…

What is you B plan to replace this NAS on Mac, will you use an Apple Time Capsule?

Thanks for your feedback.

I also use a Mac as main computer,  but I don’t think that using Time Machine on the wdmcex2 is a good idea. 

The TM backup is best set on manual,  so set off,  and backup by hand. (when it is convenient) 

Use an external hdd,  that’s specifically for his purpose ,  and is only on when you actually make a backup. 

The TM backup is too important to leave on a NAS that’s on all the time, and is constantly writing and reading. 

I don’t use iTunes because i don’t like it.

I think de Mac works pretty good with the wdmcex2,  if you use the right format recognition applications. 

The problem with the wdmcex2 is that it’s own firm-/software is not 100% stable. 

But the cooperation between a Mac and a wdmcex2 isn’t worse than with Windows. 

I found out that copying from and too a Mac works faster than with Windows. 

The other problems are within the wdmcex2 itself.

And you can use BlueHarvest to remove Apple parts that aren’t used on a Windows computer. 

Cloudbursting wrote:> Large files I can accept they will take a while. My initial time machine backup was about 500gb and took around 4 days solid… With the mac connected via Ethernet to the network too. What I find a lot harder to accept are the smaller time machine back ups since… 6gb took around 14 hours. Plus, it won’t keep the connection consistently and keeps dropping.

I ain’t a Mac user but I also found the upload times to be ridicolously slow.  I am uploading over 6TB in total but I have been trying to upload all my files since Saturday morning now and still got another 2TB to go.  Not sure how you are uploading the files but I found the speeds were much faster copying and pasting the files in file explorer (though I do also use teracopy) rather than using the my cloud desktop app or the web browser in the dashboard.  However, only try that in a completely empty share, if there is already a folder structure in it via My Cloud then you get permission errors if trying to add files within the same folder structure.  Had to completely remove a couple of shares and start again because of that as couldn’t be bothered with the slow upload speeds via My Cloud.  

Mac, Linux, Windows user here

All my transfers from anywhere on my local network to my NAS X2 wil not exceed 18 MB/s !?

I understand small files will take long time but when I transfer image files (.ISO .IMG) or compressed files it will

ONLY DO 18 MB/s ? 

this can’t be right? I was expecting at least 50-60 MB/s over gigabit ethernet 1000Mbit/s :open_mouth:

Speed test over ethernet to NAS X2 shows me 62 MB/s write speed and 92 MB/s read speed.

So, whats up WD?

after taking a closer look, it shows 14.5 MB/s avarage write speed :frowning:

the setup is

(Windows computer with gigabit ethernet card)

connected to a

(gigabit switch)

who is connected to

(NAS X2 who also have a gigabit ethernet card :O)

and the speed is **bleep** just !@#$%6!

That’s the speeds I got until switched to teracopy which averages 28mb/s and approaches slightly over 30mb/s at times.

If I use my Mac Terminal and move files from a network Volume to another network Volume(WDNAS) I get 10mb/s more :open_mouth:

strange.

I get around 70-80 MB/s

Mac Mini >CAT5>Airport Extreme<CAT5<EX2

Before that I was getting 10-15 MB/s when I had this configuration

Mac Mini >CAT5>Gigabit Switch<CAT5<EX2

Airport Extreme>CAT5>Gigabit Switch

70-80mb/s?! Wow. I have my ex2 wired directly into my router, as with my PC I’m uploading files from. Is there anything equavalent to the Airport Extreme for windows users?

Airport Extreme is just a router. You can use it with any OS.

Try unplugging everything from your router but EX2 and PC and see if that helps.