Can I Reassign or Create New Default Admin for My EX2?

When I setup my EX2 I bypassed the setup software, and instead used the web interface.  When I did I provided my name and email for the “admin” account, which allowed me to activate the device and get into the dashboard. 

But I previously had a WD2go account, so it appears that I inadvertently create a mirror (2nd?) account, associated with the same email address and the same first and last name.  This is a problem because when I login the My Cloud service via the mobile apps it ask which "account"t want to use and it lists two identical first and last names; at this point I don’t know which one is associated with the “admin” account of the EX2.  One is associated with the “admin” account on my EX2 and the other is associated the user account another My Cloud device which is the admin account for that device.

So my questions are:  Can I delete the default “admin” account on my EX2? If so, will it automatically make my other  “User” account (existing WD2go account)  the default admin account for the EX2?

I think I may have been able to prevent this issue if I had setup my EX2 with the WD desktop setup software.  If this is true, is there a way to “reset” the EX2 so that I can set it up using the WD setup software, so I can create User accoutn from my existing account for the admin, but also not delete all the content I have already loaded on the NAS?

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer.

You can access the dashboard to manage or remove any unwanted user accounts previously created.

However, you might as well reset the drive in order to start the settings from scratch.

I don’t think that using the setup software will help you out.

Although I don’t really understand your problem. You should not get prompted to select a user until after you choose a device, in which case you already know what device you are connecting to.

There is not a way to change the default Admin name on the EX4, and I imagine that if it is not apparent there probably is not a way on the EX2 either.

If you want to use another use though, just create a new user and name it whatever you would like. Then create a cloud account with the new user.

If you have any Private shares, give the user access to them. This will give you the same access as the Admin accound, but with a custom name.

@John012

I deleted the additional user and the only one that remains is the default admin user.

I also “Reset” to restore the factory settings.  Ithen used the software to resetup the unit.  

@Chaos311

Yes I discovered that the default name on the EX 2 is “admin” and *cannot* be changed.  This is the only User I have and when I use the mobile app it no longer display a choice in users, so in essence my problem is resolved.

My original confuson/concern stemed from the fact that the setup rpcedure is different on the EX2 versus the MyCloud unit.  In the Mycloud unit, when you first sign on that user account is made the “admin”.  This means that when you login you use the user name and you have admin privilages.  I prefer the proceess for the basic MyCloud device.

Also, I still have an interested in my original question: If I have multiple users, is there a way to transfer “admin” privilages to another user (wd2go) account?  or for that matter why can we have concurrent admins?

Thanks.

-MC.

To tranfer “admin” privleges to another you, you would just have to give the user access to all of the shares on the drive.

From a WD My Cloud app perspective, it would be the same.

Although, the Dashboard (UI) can only have 1 admin. All other users have a limited Web Browser interface.