wd2go.com webaccess java applet error

I bought  the WD My Book Live over the past weekend and seamlessly mounted it on my laptop while using the same wifi network as the HD. However, I have been unable to access it while on the go. I have created an account and enabled Remote Access as instructed in the manual. I have also tried the following:

1. unchecking the option to store temp java files under the settings option in the java heading on my control panel.

2. clearing out the temporary files everywhere.

3. making sure my java is updated (build 1.6.0_31)

4. read through most of the related threads in this forum

Nothing seems to work. After logging in, the applet appears to start loading (I gave permission for installation) but it never does. The load bar never moves although the wheel is rolling. After a few minutes, it gives up and gives the following error:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_31
Using JRE version 1.6.0_31-b05 Java HotSpot™ Client VM
User home directory = C:\Users\XXXX

c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
l:   dump classloader list
m:   print memory usage
o:   trigger logging
q:   hide console
r:   reload policy configuration
s:   dump system and deployment properties
t:   dump thread list
v:   dump thread stack
x:   clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to

load: class com.wd.nas4g.mapdrive.MapDrive.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.wd.nas4g.mapdrive.MapDrive.class
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass0(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.wd.nas4g.mapdrive.MapDrive.class

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

What’s more, if I close my browser after that, I find that it doesn’t really close (I find the process still running on my Task Manager. I have to manually end the process else I cannot restart my browser). I am using Firefox running on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. I have used IE 9 to no avail (I’ll say it’s even worse as I cannot even get to the page where the java applet appears to load. The certificate errors keep going around and I get caught in an infinite mouse-clicking loop).

I would truly appreciate if some help can be rendered. I have tried emailing support but no one has responded yet. To be honest, it is quite annoying. My biggest reason for getting My Book Live instead of My Book is so I can transfer files to my personal storage from outside home. That I am unable to access the drive entirely defeats the purpose of getting My Book Live.

Thank you in advance for any help rendered.

Does the same problem happens with any web browser or from any computer?

1 Like

do you have the latest java updates?

To Alucardx23: Thanks for your comment! It gave me the idea that the problem might lie with my office firewall and I was right :smiley: Unfortunately, this means I am unable to remote access MBL in office. I was wondering though if there’s anyway to access it without using the website, as my office firewall is blocking the loading of the java applet on wd2go.com?

To Wayne: Yes I have the latest Java update. Please see above for update of issue.

Bottomline is, I still cannot access it in office, which is crucial to me. Is there anyway to access it without using wd2go.com?

Appreciate any help rendered!

Have you tried to add the MBL IP number to the firewall so it will not block the packages?

To Alucardx23: As this is an office network, I am unable to make changes to the firewall, but thanks for your input.

I’m glad to say that I have managed to solve my problem after some correspondence with [edited] of WD Support. In short, I have MBL and my router configured for FTP, which I can then use WinSCP to gain access. The transfer speeds are quite reasonable and this really helps in the backing up of data on my end.

[edited] has also listed the links below for information on configuring for FTP, which I found to be very useful:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Answer Title: How to configure a My Book Live NAS drive with a Static IP
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5872

Answer Title: How to enable port forwarding on a network router for use with a My Book Live or My Book Live Duo
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8526

Answer Title: How to access data on a My Book Live, WD ShareSpace, or My Book World (White Light) using FTP
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2680

Also see http://winscp.net/eng/docs/start for more information on using WinSCP.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Again, many thanks to [edited] of WD Support and also to Alucardx23 for his post.

1 Like