Windows Explorer crashes after running the WD My Cloud App

I have a WD my cloud for about 6 months now, and really like it, just recently I have started to experience problems immediately after using the remote access software “My Cloud”  and only happens after the use of this software. I get a message that “explorer has stopped working” and then I lose my task bar.  I have tried this on three different laptops, and I get the same result with all three machines, has anyone else had this problem ?

The same in my case. I opened a support case, no answer from WD.
Can you give some more information about the other software you use?
Is it possible that this issie is caised by a combination of specific software?

Nothing other than the normal windows applications such as MS office 365, JPEGs etc. I work remotely from my office frequently and use the drive to acces my work when I am away.

In the meantime I have deinstalled the Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2926765) . It seems to sopve the appcrash problem. Can you try this?!

Has there been update on this issue? Just purchased a EX4 and loaded the My Cloud software and starting to see more explorer crashes on each machine I loaded.

Same here, Windows 7 x64.

Runs no problem, but as soon as I start up WD Mycloud, Windows Explorer keeps crashing.

Just updated to latest software & firmware still the same problem.

Running Avast 2015 Antivirus in background.

Nuttyboy

I too had this problem.  Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on an HP laptop.  Contacted WD support and tried many things, but nothing resolved the constant crashing of WE.  My recommendation is to not use WD My Cloud software.  Too buggy.  Don’t need it anyway. 

After every use of the My Cloud app, my Windows Explorer APPCRASH’s with exception code 0xc0000374 - this typically happens as I right-click the recycle bin (Windows Explorer then successfully restarts).  If I log off then back on to Windows, the problem goes away - until I run & exit the My Cloud app again.

I’ve taken this description to WD 2nd level, explaining that customers on their own community forum have been reporting this problem since October of last year.

Any thoughts?  WD, 2nd level, tells me they are “unaware of the problem”.  Perhaps if we compare environments and other details, we can help them sort this out.

I’m running ‘Microsoft Security Essentials’ for virus/malware control.

I installed KB2926765 on 13-May-2014 (still applied)

I uninstalled KB3022345 (installed 7-May-2015) to get ‘SFC /scannow’ to run clean

Win-7 64 bit, SP1    MS Office 2010     IE-11

Ran MyCloud immediately after clearing my ‘Application Event Log’, then immediately exited.  There were (22) new “Errors” posted, all logged in the same second, all from ‘Bonjour Service’, all resulting from the MyCloud startup.  Here’s a sample:

[AppendDNSNameString: Illegal empty label in name “.”] 

[ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad “_pdl-datastream” “_tcp.local.” “.”]

There were nine such pairs (as above).

The next thing I did on my desktop caused Windows Explorer to APPCRASH with Exception Code: 0xc0000005

It seems to me that MyCloud is using a corrupted parameter list to call Bonjour services.  This is a good sign that somthing is walking on memory structures that only get cleaned up by rebooting or performing logoff / logon.  WD 2nd level support has accepted my Application Log traces and is researching.

After days of research, I have discovered that removing Bonjour after installing the WD application is all that is needed to prevent the lock up of Windows.  It’s not even needed on a laptop when connecting externally from another location.

The Windows “Event Viewer” was my clue to explore the purpose of Bonjour - nothing made sense with the erroneous characters.  You’ll still have complete access to the NAS after uninstalling Bonjour.  No more lock ups! 

Hope this helpful to anyone having this issue…it worked for me.

Thanks for the tip.  I removed ‘Bonjour’, but unfortunately the APPCRASH, exception code: 0xc0000374 and 0xc0000005 remained.

Removing Bonjour, then running the MyCloud app obviously didn’t cause any Bonjour errors in the application trace. But as soon as I exited MyCloud the APPCRASH’s returned, as before.

I then logged off of Windows and logged back on, and everything returned to normal (APPCRASH’s ceased).  Suffice it to say, I no longer use WD’s Windows based remote access application.  Everyone else at my office continues to use it without problems?  Also, I have no issues when running the Android flavor of MyCloud from my smartphone.

This problem is apparently rare enough that WD may not have enough motivation (number of complaining customers) to do anything about it!