WDTV Remote App does not detect WDTV Live Gen3

A couple of weeks ago I purchased Gen 3 WDTV thinking that I would control it with my iPhone, otherwise my WDTV Live plus was good enough. I have iPhone 4S with IOS 6.0. It does not detect my WDTV, not even once while another app ZappoTV detects perfectly. My WDTV is with latest firmware (1.11.14 I guess, recently upgraded). I’ve reset both my router and the WD unit to no avail either. The WD unit is connected to the router via LAN cable, and my iPhone is connected to router wirelessly. While trying different options to resolve the problem, I’ve turned on my laptop, which was connected to my home network wirelessly. The laptop shows up on the WDTV, The WDTV shows up on laptop, and WDTV shows up on ZappoTV App, but the WDTV is not shown on WDTV remote app. Thanks to suggest the solution…

Make sure that you are indeed connected to the router signal and not using the Phone provider service

try uninstalling the app

This seems to be my problem as well. I reinstalled the app, turned on airplane mode to disable cell reception, and activated wi-fi. Still nothing. Any other ideas - anyone? Is it the wireless router? By the way, the WD Photo app is working fine. Weird…

RBG711 wrote:

This seems to be my problem as well. I reinstalled the app, turned on airplane mode to disable cell reception, and activated wi-fi. Still nothing. Any other ideas - anyone? Is it the wireless router? By the way, the WD Photo app is working fine. Weird…

This is strange…

I’m using the app just fine but I don’t have the latest iOS

do you also have iOS 6?

I have iPhone 4 with IOS5.1.1

I’m starting to believe more and more  that the cause of the problem is the router. This post has a similar issue to mine

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/WDTV-Remote-app-for-Android-no-longer-works/m-p/490670#M13189

1 Like

Voila ! Finally I could get it solved. The problem is with the router only. Like I said in my original post I had tried everything with latest firmware on WDTV and IOS but in vain. Then I lost hopes of controlling the WDTV with my iPhone. The latest firmware was too sluggish so I downgraded it to 1.05.17 (If I remember correctly).

Recently I changed my router to Airport extreme, and voila, the WD remote app started working perfectly without any effort from my side. The WDTV is still in old firmware (1.05.17).

Thanks to all of you who tried to help. Am posting just to let everybody know that the problem in my case was with router.