Continuous playback via remote connection

I have my entire music collection on a 4 TB mycloud. Accessing via the iOS mycloud app on a wifi connection works fine and automatically plays the next song. However, on a remote connection it will only play one song at a time. I have to press play after every song even when auto play is selected in the app.

I have read in this forum that this has been a problem for a long time (since 2011). There are no real answers. Only that it will be reported to WD and that it works on the android app. It is unbelievable to me that this basic functionality is not fixed yet for the iPhone. I contacted WD and they told me that it is an issue in the “network section of my iPhone” or my “provider settings.” I have no idea what that means.

I read that mycloud supports remote connection via smb. I am now able to remotely connect with a third party app (nplayer) via smb and opening port 445. The port is forwarded via port 11. This works fine. I get full functionality.

However, I have read that opening port 445 is like leaving your front door open. What is the general consensus on connecting to the mycloud via smb? Is it safe? It is recommended by WD?

The whole point of buying the mycloud was to get safe and secure remote connection via the mycloud app. Until this issue is fixed the mycloud app cannot be used as a music player.

Hi there,

Normally the ports needed to for remote access are 80 an 443. Hope this link helps you out so you can check the ports on your unit:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8526

Regarding continuous playback i haven’t tried this yet on my iOS device, but lets see if another user can help you out on this matter. 

Thank you for your reply. That was the first thing I did. I followed all of those instructions and my mycloud is currently configured with that port forwarding. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem of continuos playback on a remote connection with an iPhone.

Hey i just tested on my Iphone 6 with the My Cloud app and although my upload speed y very bad (1 Mbps) the app was able to go from one track to the next, on the test i made the files are all on the same folder inside the public share and this was using my phones data plan.

I have ports 443 and 80 forwarded on my router to the My Clouds IP.

Thank you for the reply. I just recreated the problem again. On data plan, using iPhone mycloud app and songs do not go to the next track. I wonder if its something having to do with the song files. I am trying to stream MP3 files. Do you think rebuilding the database would do anything?

Well, on my case I did not have to rebuild, but you can try to see if this helps you out, and I tried with were mp3 files as well, it took its time to go to the next track but i believe it was because of my bad upload speed.

Thank you for the reply. It seems that no one can recreate the issue. I rebuilt the datebase and updated my router’s firmware but that didn’t do anything. I’m begninning to think it is a slow/bad connection somewhere either on my cellular network or on my internet at home. For some reason the connection does not seem to be maintained.  I think when it gets ot the end of the song, the connection is slow and my iphone/the mycloud app thinks that was the last song.