Can't view movies on my iOS devices

I have a new My Cloud and have followed the instructions as best I could. I can view music and pictures from the Public share but have mixed success viewing movies on either my iPhone or my iPad. I have both .m4v and .mp4 files in the Public:Movies share. The .mp4 files play fine, but the larger .m4v files start to play in the WD My Cloud and then immediately switch to a Safari window titled the IP address of the My Cloud. This Safari window acts like it’s going to play (it has a “play” triangle in the middle of the page) but nothing happens. When I hit the triangle, a bar appears through the triangle and the page goes black. I understood this drive would allow playing movies on an iOS device but I haven’t seen that yet. I also have smaller .m4v files from my video camera that play just fine. All the movies are either digital copies or from iTunes. Please help!

Same thing happening to me… What’s worse, it used to work before. Stopped working when upgrading to ios 8.

Do these movies happen to have come from the iTunes Store?   If so, they have DRM, which doesn’t work anymore after iOS 8.

No.  Some are from iTunes but most of them are digital copies from Blu-ray sets.

Tony is correct about DRM tainted files.  Apple is solely to blame for this not-playing issue.  They are the villain, so complain to them and not HD makers.

As for blu-ray lifts not working. I have made a few of my blu-rays into a format for the iPad.  First, I need to make an ISO, I can then make into a mkv, and then I run the mkv through Handbrake on the iPad default setting with a few tweaks.  Do this and just use the defaults, and your resultant files should play on an iPad/phone… Using the defaults of Handbrake will prevent the bitrate  from being set too high so files do not become unplayable.

I’m not sure if this is the answer, but it seemed so simple, I’m embarrassed to even post it. All the videos play very nicely through the Apple Videos app on either my iPad or iPhone. I disconnected my device from the Wifi network and ensured the Videos app was empty. I then connected back to my Wifi network, opened the Videos app, and there were all the movies that are on My Cloud. It takes about 60 seconds to load the movie, but then it plays very nicely. I hope this helps. My expectations of the MyCloud app were way too high and my understanding of the interface was way too low.