Can't play AVI files on iphone

Hello,

Can someone please help? I have many avi files on my cloud but cannot play them when accessing the cloud with my iphone (using the WDmyCloud app). They play fine when using my android tablet and laptop but when I try to open them on my phone there is no option provided to open the file with a different program. If I download the file to my phone they will play but not when trying to stream them. Can some please advise how I can correct this because it’s driving my mad.

Many thanks

You can’t.   The only files that can be “Streamed” are files which are iOS compliant (m4v/mp4 files that meet Apple’s criteria.)  

AVI files, IIRC, are only allowed if they’re Motion JPEG files with PCM audio or something very specific like that.

It seems as though .avi format is not supported by quicktime(the player on your Iphone). So, you could convert all of those videos to a format supported by your IOS device(mp4,mov,m4v) using VLC and Handbrake but this is very time consuming and less than ideal.

Or there is a program that can convert those files on the fly for you, but requires using your computer as a server to convert the files for you as you stream them to your device. A little setup work, free, and might be at least a temporary solution.

http://www.airplayit.com/blog/tutorials/watch-avi-video-on-iphone-ipad-without-conversion.htm

Can iPhone Play AVI Files?

iPhone does support AVI format but only one type of AVI which must comply with the following parameters: Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format. When your AVI files don’t meet the conditions, it’s impossible to play AVI on iPhone directly. In this case, the best solution is converting AVI files to iPhone more compatible formats like MP4 with Faasoft Video Converter, a really useful tool.

You can play these AVI videos on iPhone models:

Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

For most AVI video files, you need an app like Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate to make AVI file compatible with your iPhone. It’s not a big hassle for converting AVI for iPhone.

Email the link to yourself, copy the link, go to VLC app, choose open stream, paste address into box and it plays.

In VLC app u will see “open network stream” paste the link there. VLC plays AVI files

i had the same problem, feels terrible i know;(

Now i use WALTR for Mac/Windows, i guess you`d like it too. It is very easy and works with all the formats. I have no complaints so far! 

Finally i got all i wanted on my iPhone :smiley:

Guide for you   http://softorino.com/waltr/play-avi-video-files-iphone-and-ipad

I’d definitely recommend you to try out WALTR app! I don’t like to convert videos or music, it takes a lot of time, that’s why I found out WALTR to be the best way to play any video on any idevice. No iTunes, no sync. Plays AVI on iPhone, no complex configuration is required. Drag&drop your video, works for both Windows and Mac. Give a try!(link: http://softorino.com/waltr ) :wink: