Subtitles for Wd MyCloud App

The previous version of this app (3.1.2) had a different media player, and allowed you to call up the subtitles embedded in a video. With this new update, the subtitles button is gone. I have emailed WD Support and received the following answer:

“The WD My Cloud App for iOS does not include a Subtitles button, since the application, although it allows you to play media files, is not meant to be a media player.”

WHAT?!?  The drive is a backup system for all types of files, and not being to fully access your files defeats the purpose of the drive. I bought the WD MyCloud drive specifically to use it as a media server, since it is advertised as being used that way. This is, at the very least, deceptive advertising.

Please put the subtitles button back in your software. Or, make an app dedicated to being a media player. Not having this button is a disservice to people who bought the WD MyCloud drive.

Don’t know if I should be commenting. We bought this with the idea of being able to access our video files via our wifi devices. The videos play nicely. However, we are both deaf, and need an option to turn on the subtitles. It was marketed to us as a way to stream our videos. As the person above stated, previous software had this option. Why would you remove something that made the software better?

if you’re not going to add the ability to view subtitles back into the apps, can you suggest apps that can access the files and display the videos with subtitles? These apps would also need to work from non home locations.

Thanks in advance.

Our apologies. We didn’t test enough files. After playing with it more we noticed that the subtitles automatically came up. However this only worked about 75% of the time. Is it due to the container? Our files are mostly MP4, with some xvid and some divx. Any suggestions?