Time Machine issues with OSX 10.9 clients

It appears that my 8TB sentinel is running into issues working with OSX 10.9 clients via time machine (or from what I can tell, it’s really the other way arround.) I’ve done some reading and it seems that apple decided to move to an SMB based approach instead of AFP for the new iteration of the time machine client.  The end result I get is that when I attempt to connect using a 10.9 host, I get a notification indicating that the server either does not exist or is unavailable. Interestingly, the NAS still shows up in the list of drives to pick from when setting up time machine.

Current environment:

1x OSX 10.9 client (time machine non-functional

2x OSX 10.7 clients (Time machine working as expected

1x OSX 10.8 client (time machine working as expected)

2x Windows 8.1 pro (x64) clients (automated backups working as expected

1x Windows 7 ultimate (x64) client (automated backups working as expected)

I’m investigating the issue from both approaches, the NAS side and the client side.

Has anyone had any luck getting Time Machine on mavericks (10.9) clients working with the sentinel?

This is actually from the newer version, but my guess/belief is that the apple products are the same, but I am not an Apple persona AT ALL

Domain Join and Backup using http:\ {ipaddress of server}\Connect

• Windows 8, all 32-bit and 64-bit platforms
  • Windows 7, all 32-bit and 64-bit platforms
  • Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard with Time Machine
  • Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard with Time Machine
  • Mac OS X v10.7 Lion with Time Machine
  • Mac OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion with Time Machine

Copied from here.  The box you have will also backup XP and Vista.  The new one will not.  I swear I heard someone who knows Apple say it will never work cause of the change you mentioned.

I have been able to connect to my Sentinel and do Time Machine Backups from Mavericks by doing the following:

Connect to the Sentinel in finder using the IP (AFP) connection. I then mount the Time Machine Folder.

After this I start the backup in time machine and it finds the server okay.

Successive backups seem to work fine, ie this was just needed on the first connection for me.

Also I noted that this was for clean installs of Mavericks. Upgraded machines that were already backing up to the Sentinel were fine.

Andrew

Thanks I guess LOL

I had to google 10.9 to see mavericks. 

Again I have no clue about Apple.

But your notes are here for the world to see now and hopefully it will help someone(s)

Thanks you so much for jumpimg in !

Gramps

1.7.3.13 update popped up as available today. Applied the update and everything suddenly works like a dream. I guess I just needed to be a little more patient!

On a side note, after spending a half hour updating the firmware on my home NAS, I get to go into work tonight and run a microcode update on a large SAN storage array… when firmware rains it pours…

Be careful using 10.9 with windows file sharing (samba) as we have seen corruption issues. [

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23727068#23727068#23727068](https://discussions.apple.com/message/23727068#23727068#23727068)