Dashboard crashes

I was swapping USB drives to rotate backups last week and something happened to my DX4000.  All the lights blinked and one of the drives dropped out of the RAID array.  The message on the LCD was something like “Storage degraded”.  I was suspicious that the drive was really bad, given the external event.  So, I rebooted the machine, reseated the drives and all four drives came up.  The message then indicated that it was rebuilding the drive.  OK.  I let this go for several hours and then everything apeared to be normal except everytime I try to run the dashboard, the splash screen displays for a moment and then disappears and nothing happens.  I looked at the dashboard.log and foung the following messages:

Dashboard.Forms: !!!FATAL: Dashboard shutting down due to unhandled exception: Initialization of ‘System.Windows.Controls.Button’ threw an exception.

Dashboard.Forms: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: Initialization of ‘System.Windows.Controls.Button’ threw an exception. —> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: No mapping for the Unicode character exists in the target multi-byte code page…

So it seems that something got corrupted when this event happened and I am wondering whether anyone has an idea of what I can do to repair it.  I really don’t want to re-install WSSE.  I don’t have a C drive/system state backup that I can restore from.  I ran sfc /scannow and all was good.  I looked through the forums and tried a few things, but no joy.

Jim  

Prob no help, but did you try the dashboard in safe mode?  Disable the addins? Try chkdsk?

Perhaps a clue here on certs?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whsvailbeta/thread/5eeeae60-bef6-45ed-9bc9-f1af860b5787

Gramps,

I tried all of the above and tried the certificate fix even thought the log message was different.  Guess I am down to the restore process. 

Jim

Sorry, I dont know anyone who really understands these cert issues.  But you might post this question in the Microsoft forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver2011essentials

I bit the bullet and did a system recovery.  It was about as painful as I expected.

Thank anyway.