MyBookLive: Hide shares when user not authorised

by on ‎12-21-2010 03:42 PM

Please update firmware so that a user can only see the shares he is allowed to access.

Comments
by on ‎01-14-2011 12:42 PM

That's not how SAMBA works.   

The list of Shares (the "Smb Tree") is supposed to be available WITHOUT ANY user authorization.

The client asks the server for ALL shares, and the server responds with ALL shares.

by on ‎01-15-2011 09:48 AM

That's too bad. I would like that feature, too (in Sharespace). The old Novell NetWare was capable of that - and it was great because a user doesn't get confused by directory entries he can't access anyway.

I guess we need to take that request to the samba team because I don't think it is feasible (or even wise) for WD to tweak samba.

by on ‎01-31-2011 11:39 AM

It is possible with samba. The thing is, Windows can then get confused because it _expects_ to see all shares and does not (always) update the share list when the authentication changes. So: Linux and Samba can do it (client and server) but don't expect Windows clients to behave properly.

Since the WD NAS run Linux, you can enable this by enabling SSH support and adding "hide unreadable = yes" in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file under the [global] section. (If you need more detailed instructions than this, just tell me.)

by on ‎02-28-2011 06:42 PM

HIDE UNREADABLE = YES

hides FILES, not SHARES.

by Staff on ‎03-07-2011 11:19 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
Will look at this as a user configurable option for future programs/releases. Thanks for the suggestion.
by Staff on ‎03-07-2011 11:23 AM
Status changed to: In Review

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD