WD Anywhere Backup can't find older files in my backup

Sorry snow elf for seeming to hijack your thread - I started by commenting that WD Support would tell you that W7was not compatible.

I am back using windows xp for the day.  This is where Retrospect firsst failed me, about 3 months before I added W7. In your reply you suggest:

I recommend connecting the drive to a Windows 2000, XP, or Vista computer and restore all of your data into a folder on the root of a drive/share.

But I cannot restore anything. That was where the whole thing went wrong, while in XP, Retrospect refused me access to any of my backups. Initially it used to show zero backups, and I was able to recover the backups by running setup again. THen it would mircaulously jump from zero to (I think we reached 83 backups).  One day, that stopped working, and I could not in any way get at my backups.

Along the way, I would sometimes get a message telling me that no backups had been done for 7 days, and that led to me finding that it had again forgotten the previous backups. OK so that does not work.

The first suggested link which is to rebuild catalogs says  as point 3:

Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to browse to the location where a backup was stored. This will normally be on the destination drive at the time of the backup. Open the /Retrospect Restore Points/ folder.

There is no /Retrosepct Restore Points/ folder on the Mybookworld drive in MSHome.  So I am stuck.

There are three folders with IDnnnnnnnn, and a folder called PUBLIC htat I set up later, in an attempt to find a way to use the **bleep** thing in some way.

Retrospect seems such archaic software.  DOing anything seems to take an age. Clicking setup takes a minute or more to react. Choosing folders to backup is quick enough, Choosing a location for the backup seems to take forever.  The “Select the disk to store your backup”  shows locations that no longer exist, but does not show the current IP address for the MyBookWorld. If I untick the placae it is trying to use, that takes 5 minutes to react. It takes 5 minutes to be able to click the underlined message to add a network attached drive. Then it does not give me a browse window like i expect, but askes me for the UNC path…  When I type in the IP address \192.168.1.68\ it says the connection to the network disk could not be established. I’ve added PUBLIC at teh end, and it now wants my restore point file! Doh!