"The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported..."

Hi everyone,

I think this may have been a previous issue but I can’t find (or probably aren’t going back far enough) previous posts on this.

I recently (recently as in yesterday) upgraded to OS X Lion and now I cannot connect to my admin account on my WD MyBook World Edition.

When I try signing in, I keep receiving the message, “The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.” 

I’ve read a couple of forum posts on Apple about people having similar problems with different hard drives and they’ve used commands in Terminal to fix their issues. I’ve tried as well but have been prompted with warning messages that I may lose some information and as a photographer with 100000+ photographs backed up/in storage (I know I shouldn’t store but I was running extremely low on memory), I cannot afford losing anything.

All in all, I cannot connect on my admin account (guest account is entirely fine) on my WD MyBook World Edition in OS X Lion. Any kind of help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you! 

WHat if you try to access the files from any other computer that is NOT on Lion?

I did try that and it worked perfectly.

I can also sign into the guest account without problem, as well however I’d much rather be in my admin account.

Do you have any suggestions for anything to do?

Hi. I am now having this same problem. Did you find a fix for it? 

Thank you. 

Hey there,

it’s been a while but I still have not fixed this issue.

Currently emailing support and seeing if they can help.

Have you had any luck?

Continuing the discussion from "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported…":

If you’re experiencing the issue where you can no longer connect to your NAS’ AFP or Samba shares having upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7 or higher because of the error message in the subject line above (for complete description see below), the cause is that Apple have disabled the authentication mechanism that the NAS uses (called DHCAST128).

The fix is to re-enable this authentication method on the Mac. For those who are technically-minded, all you need do is removed “DHCAST128” from the list of disabled uams in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient.plist, which you can achieve by re-writing that key by issuing the following command at a prompt:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0” “2-Way Randnum exchange”

For those who’d prefer to follow complete instructions, they are here:

http://frankleng.me/2011/07/21/connect-to-a-freenas-samba-or-afp-share-on-lion-workaround/

Cheers,

Ian

Continuing the discussion from "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported…":