"The network path not found" error

I apologize if this has been answered. I see a LOT of issues regarding not being able to get to the drive but none that I’m getting.

I have a My Book World Edition II (wdh2nc20000)  - 2 TB running in a non-raid configuration

If I don’t use if for a bit and try to access it, it should prompt me for a user id and password but I get
a popup stating:

An error occurred while reconnecting  W: to \External-Drive\nancy  Microsoft Windows Network: The network path was not found. This connection has not been restored.

The status indicators on the router Ethernet connection show the connection active but I can’t access the drive and WD Discovery says that there is no drive.

I’ve changed Ethernet cables, changed the port it’s plugged into, plugged the power into the wall directly.  The drive is spinning but just not accessible. I did *not* do a 4 second reset as the following scenario works.

The only way to get it to re-establish connection is to unplug power to the unit for a minute or so and
then power on and let the drive reboot. Once I do that I can mount the drive fine and access all data.

Any idea why this may be happening?  Not a huge deal but it does get rather annoying.

Thanks,

Steve

Does this happen when you try to connect from a different computer?

To isolate the issue try connecting the drive directly tot the computer’s Ethernet port and see if the problem persist.

Thanks for the reply.   Yes, it happens from my Lenovo T530 and my wifes Lenovo W530.   The drive is currently connected via ethernet cable to a FIOS router.

I’ll move the drive out by my system and hard wire it with an ethernet cable.  One other piece of information; I did *not* flash the firmware on the drive. For the life of me, I can’t find a cable in my house that’s just USB to USB. I can’t believe it, but that’s the case. ;-)  And the instructions say it has to be done via USB cabling vs ethernet cabling.   Do you thing it may be worth getting a USB cable and updating the firmware?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay. Been fighting colds at this end…

Anyhow, I moved the drive and connected it directly to my laptop via ethernet ports.  After the drive booted it prompted me for a userid and password as it should, I entered it and the drive mapped fine.  But after sitting, it unmounted the drive and when I tried to remap it I got the same error as laid out above so that takes the wireless/router legs out of the picture.

It seems to make sense to me to ensure that the drive is at the latest firmware.  The manual says that the drive should be connected directly to the computer which makes sense. But, it says that it needs to be connected via USB.  Is that really the case or can I flash the firmware using an ethernet cable?

TIA,

Steve