WD My Book WE2 raid1 degraded mode. one disk "unassigned"

I hope someone can help me with this error. We normally use hot swap array rebuilds with our NAS units but this specific WD NAS model need manual work to rebuild the failed raid. Here is the short history:

We notice our WD MY Book World Edition 2 is working in degraded mode.

“[volume status] volume “data volume” is in degraded mode”

Initially, we found one disk in GOOD condition and the 2nd disk as MISSING. We turn off for several hours and turn it on again during an scheduled network maintenance.

Now, I checked in the manage disk menu and I saw that the two hds were in “good” condition, so I hope it’s not a phisical problem with the disks… one of the two is marked as “unassigned” and has a “clean disk” icon in the right.

what’s the best thing to do?

should I clean the disk? then, the raid will make copy the data from the other hd? (data is available in the shares)

A good advise would be appreciated

The data is still recoverable on RAID 1 as long as the remaining drive does not have problems.

Is the unit still under warranty?

Check the following thread that discuss a similar issue.

http://community.wd.com/t5/Other-Network-Drives/WorldBook-II-Drive-Says-quot-GOOD-quot-But-Clean-HD-Icon-is-On/td-p/188150

John012 wrote:

The data is still recoverable on RAID 1 as long as the remaining drive does not have problems.

Is the unit still under warranty?

Check the following thread that discuss a similar issue.

http://community.wd.com/t5/Other-Network-Drives/WorldBook-II-Drive-Says-quot-GOOD-quot-But-Clean-HD-Icon-is-On/td-p/188150

Thank you for your help and response. I don’t believe this unit is under warranty, because is a 2010 product. I don’t see any follow up from the user in the other thread, so I don’t know if they finally solved the issue, but I understand I will need to rebuild the raid manually.

I have backup of the data but I will update the backup, remove the HDD, run the diagnostics on the drive and if the disk is ok, I will reinsert the disk and see the status (will clean and see if the raid can be reconstructed from the web interface), if not possible, I will follow instructions from the manual (page 169) for raid rebuild.

I will never purchase a non-hot swap NAS again in the future. Is really stupid to leave users without access to the data for 12 hours during the rebuild.