Unable to connect to MBW White Light WD20000H1NC-00

A little over a week ago I was able to copy many megs of files to and from the WD drive. Went out of town for the weekend and when I returned I can’t access the drive. All computers where shutdown (or traveling with me - laptop) so no Windows 7 updates were performed.

Here’s what I have:

Firmware - 01.02.12 w/ Mionet 4.3.1.13

Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 PCs and 1 laptop.

Lynksys Wireless-N Gigabit router

I’ve tried different patch cables and currently I have the drive connected directly (ethernet) to the laptop but the following problems were the same when going through the router.

Accessing the admin pages of the drive are very slow and generally result in lockups after several minutes of waiting. Lockups require me to close the session and start a new one. Some pages I can access each time and some I can never access (i.e., Advance Storage Disk Manager and Volume Status).

Basic Mode Folder Shares indicates folder shares are disabled when I hover over the Use Private Share column (all shares contain X’s). At one point I recall seeing an error message about a bad volume or some similar message but that was probably on one of the pages I can rarely access because I can’t find the message now.

System Status indicates - DataVolume Usage Failed

Using WD Discovery always produces an error message - “The network name cannot be found.”

I’ve been trying to access my files all week and I am getting very (VERY) frustrated. I’ve been searching the WWW trying to determine if there are any fixes - if there are I haven’t found them. Like most people, my backups aren’t as current as they need to be or I would simply throw the drive out. I need my files!

Does anybody have a solution? Please!!!

You may try plugging the power adapter to another outlet, directly to the wall.  You may also try a reset, by holding its reset  button for 20 seconds, this should not affect then data stored on it.

Vadir wrote:

You may try plugging the power adapter to another outlet, directly to the wall.  You may also try a reset, by holding its reset  button for 20 seconds, this should not affect then data stored on it.

The drive has been plugged into at least 3 different outlets - actually 2 different outlets and a UPS.

I have been nervous about using the reset because I absolutely can’t afford to lose my files. When you say “should not affect” do you mean “WILL not affect” my data stored on the drive?

I should also add that I used my iPad to access the admin pages and I get the same slow performance and lockups. The lockups eventually generate an error message containing “… broken pipe…”.

All problems I am experiencing occur both when the drive has been running for days or has been recently rebooted.

Another update…

After doing some investigation into the impact of resetting the drive, I bit the bullet and tried the reset. No luck!

Same inability to connect and poor (pathetic) performance and lockups from admin pages.