Unable to access Media Server (twonky)

Hi all,

I’ve updated to the new firmware 1.02.10.  I am having the same issues as everyone else as of late.  Here are some details of my problem:

Running Windows 7 (64-Bit)

WD MyBook World Edition 1TB  fw 1.02.10 updated 2 days ago.

1. Using the WD Discovery Software, I can map my drives and that seems to work fine.  However, everytime I restart my computer or shut it down and come back it just doesn’t want to recognize it anymore.  The fix was to turn off/on the *My Book-1TB* system and re-map all the drives yet again.  Pain in the rear end.   This issue DID NOT happen AT ALL on FW 1.02.06 (aside from a few rare network outages on other 3rd party devices).

Since I have yet to see a post or link to any older firmware, I’ll have to resort to figuring out a solution.

So here’s a question to the community…

My Twonky Media was working last night processing all the files for the media database stuff.  So I shut down my computer and let the Network Storage do it’s jazz all night on my closet shelf.  This morning, I turned on my PC…Mapped Hard drives are longer visible.  Go thru the paces above to get it working again.   Now, I log onto the default 192.168.1.100 address for the hard drive to access *TWONKY Media Server* and it Google Chrome says Opps, can’t find 192.168.1.100 : 9000.  What is going on?  Anyone else having this issue or might know how to fix this?  I’m sure out of ideas of resetting/rebooting this thing here.  Please help or leave me a sympathy response to ease my frustration…seriously.

Thank you. -Brian

Any help before I take this ‘MyBook’ and toss it out of a 3 story window?

i have a same problem.

after update my fw to 1.2.10, i cant start media server and i cant find Shared folders on my WD 

Hi guys,

Try restarting your My Book My World by holding the POWER button for four seconds and waiting for it to power off. Then turn it back on. Once it is up and running completely, login to the TWONKY media server web interface, click Settings > Maintenance > Restart Server. I had to actually restart the entire MBMW and then restart the TWONKY media server after that. So far, so (somewhat) good!

I appreciate the feedback and support.

Timeimp, I just tried your suggestion about pressing the power button to power off/on the MyBook.  Using the WD Discovery Software, it says there was “No Network Devices Were Discovered…” message.  I’ve waited a good 5 full minutes for the MyBook to fully bootup.  I figured it would be enough time, but am I missing something that 5 min is not long enough?  -.^

Alright, after about 2 attempts…its finally up and running…still can’t access (twonky) media server though.

Ok solution found…so far after calling WD Tech Support.  Apparently the drive was connected to a 5-port power strip with only 3 other devices (linksys wireless router, linksys 4-port switch, and comcast cable modem).  The service tech suggested plugging the WD MyBook into the wall outlet without a power-strip and after a restart, I can access the media server (twonky) just fine.  Hopefully this will still work tomorrow morning.  I’ll post an update then.

***MORNING UPDATE***

Haven’t been able to shut down the computer overnight as iTunes was doing it’s ghetto ‘Determining -Gayness- Playback Information’…I’ll update in the next day or two. 

feartheyu wrote:

Ok solution found…so far after calling WD Tech Support.  Apparently the drive was connected to a 5-port power strip with only 3 other devices (linksys wireless router, linksys 4-port switch, and comcast cable modem).  The service tech suggested plugging the WD MyBook into the wall outlet without a power-strip and after a restart, I can access the media server (twonky) just fine.  Hopefully this will still work tomorrow morning.  I’ll post an update then.

I’m sorry, call me a cynic, but I’m not buying that!!!  It makes a difference whether the drive is plugged into a wall socket or an extension???  The suggestion itself smacks of clutching at straws and the apparant success (so far) is called coincidence.

That is why I haven’t contected the WD support desk myself, as I have tried “unplugging the power and plugging it back in again”…many times!

I agree with you Brownster…but it did work. =\  I even tried plugging it in and out many times as well.  It hasn’t had any problems before on the power surge strip.  Now that things are up and running, I’ll wait a couple of days and put it back on the strip.

From what I’ve experienced the part that actually fixed this issue was the complete power cycle of the device. 

I think so too Monoskier.  When I was on the phone with the tech, we literally waited like 5 min for the full power cycle of the MYWE before doing anything.  I’ve done that a few times before on my own to no avail…but it worked and I got a $15 bonus on any purchases for any new items off the WD Store.  Don’t see myself purchasing anything in the next 2 weeks, but at least it’s something. :slight_smile:

Edit:

If other’s are still having troubles, maybe power it off using the power button on the back, unplug the Cat5 Cable…boot it up and wait about 5-10 min for a full power cycle.  Then plug in the cat5 cable, and then do your thing on the computer. 

(I changed the Cat5 cable that came with it to another one I had laying around just to see, I never had problems with the original that came with the device before, but doesn’t hurt to let go of some pride and try all possibilities.)

Yeah cold-booted my system and the system is unable to recognize the MyBook on the network… Only workaround I see is leaving my computer on 24/7.  Which I don’t really want to do…