USB Media Share TwonkyMedia Server

Hi

I have just bought the My Book World edition and have been impressed so far. Just tried the USB option inTwonkyMedia Server with the tick in Auto-share removable media and used the tick but I still cannot stream the media to my Xbox 360. Works as expected when dropping files into the default shares but not when trying to share the USB device

Anyone any ideas

Always remember things are only wasy when you know how…

1 Like

I’m experiencing the exact issue.  I have  1tb mybook mirror that i have hooked up to my 1tb mybook world edition ii, and i can’t get twonky to recognize it.

The official response I had from WD is below:

**Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

As per your previous contact to our services, please be informed that we have further reviewed your case.

Please be informed that the twonky server can only access the Public folder there is no way of changing this.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.**

I havent had a good look yet, but there are config files that can be tweaked, you can easily find how to access these files, whether you are then able to “see” the usb drive in twonky is another question…

Has anyone been able to do this yet

This is a fairly clear case of misrepresentation since the features provided promised by the product are faulty.  Auto-Share is intended to read from the USB Drive.

Bill, can you comment on whether this feature is fixed in the new firmware please.  Thanks.

Clansman007 wrote:

Hi

I have just bought the My Book World edition and have been impressed so far. Just tried the USB option inTwonkyMedia Server with the tick in Auto-share removable media and used the tick but I still cannot stream the media to my Xbox 360. Works as expected when dropping files into the default shares but not when trying to share the USB device

Anyone any ideas

Always remember things are only wasy when you know how…

Twonky is specifically written to only work with the public shares.  Sharing a USB drive is about turning it into a Network Share.  Read page 130 of the User Manual.

bill_s wrote:

Twonky is specifically written to only work with the public shares.  Sharing a USB drive is about turning it into a Network Share.  Read page 130 of the User Manual.

Bill - sorry if I have picked you up wrong but its the setting in Twonky Media Server

Auto-share removable media: When a new removable media device (e.g. USB memory stick) is plugged in, the server will share all media files on the device automatically. When the device is unplugged, the files from it will be automatically removed from the server.

that is a bit misleading. Nothing to do with Network shares at all

Hi Bill,

I think I need to clarify the steps:

1. Set up Twonky read videos in my Shared Videos folder (This works fine - PS3 is able to read all videos perfectly)

2. Plug in WDMB mirror drive to WDMBii via USB (usb-shared drive is enabled and readable)

3. In Twonky settings, enable Auto-Share (This is where we are stuck)

- This feature is supposed to enable Twonky to automatically search USB Drives for video, music, or pictures and automatically add them to the media server’s file listing.  When the drive is removed, these files should theoretically disappear with them.

The problem with the twonky server is that it only looks at the public folder on the main drive.  If you go into the shares for the twonky server you will notice that selecting BROWSE only shows the folders in the public folder.  This is because the shares start at /DataVolume/Public.  If you change the default start location to /shares, or maybe it’s /Shares, you will be able to access anything which has been defined as a share on the MyBook.

The command to fix the USB sharing problem is:

http://:9000/rpc/set_option?contentbase=/shares
where is the name or IP address of the My Book.  This command is entered into your web browser’s address bar.  The browser will respond with a page that says “/shares”.

You then go into the Twonky server shares and use BROWSE to re-select the folders to be shared.  You can now select anything that has been set up as a share in the My Book.  If the USB drive has been inserted and you have the share USB box checked, it will be available for selection.  Once done, clear and rebuild the Twonky database from the maintenance section.  At one or more points during this process you may need to select the restart twonky server option but I don’t remember when.  

1 Like