ShareSpace replacement drives

I have a Share Space WD40000 (4x1 TB drives in Raid 5)  which recently had all of its Drives fail (out of warranty).  I noticed that the WD10EARS drives that came with it originally have been discontinued.  Can I still buy a drive to replace these with?   Do I need to stick to Green Drives?   Can go larger than 1 TB on the drives? 

I tried looking within the Help files of the product, and then on the website and I couldn’t find any information.  

Thanks,

Hello, you can use any of the other 1TB greens with the same specs, if you enter a larger capacity hard drive the Sharespace will format it as a 1TB hard drive. Check the link below to view all the WD Green models. 

http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?groupid=608&lang=en

1 Like

Hey PatrickK,

If you do some searching in this forum you will find that the last post is a little misleading :wink: Have a search and find that you can increase capacity. Also, having four drives fail at once is very bad luck - almost impossible. If you have no data to lose try and remove them one at a time and test in a PC using a diagnostic tool.

Cheers :slight_smile:

What do you mean by “same specs”

I have a WD10EADS 32MB that I need to replace. These are discontinued. Which 1 TB can I buy to work with the other 3 WD10EADS 32 MB?

you should find 2.hand drivers from ebay :wink:

Ichigo! R u sure I can use any other model of WD greens with same spec.

What u mean same spec? RPM? Cache??? Whatever???

Can u clear explain please…

Thank u very much

(will click on the Kudos star after ur reply :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: )

Hi Hermes101, yes, as long as the Caviar Greens have the same RPM and buffer size you shouldn’t encounter any problems. 

2 Likes