New Release - Firmware Version 1.02.06 for My Book World Edition I & II (1/4/2011)

Thanks to various people on this forum for guiding me through how to update this firmware. How can WD be so obstructive to their customers on what should be a routine update. I doubt I will ever invest in WD products again - too much hassle, albeit MBW does actually work well for me - just the lack of any support from WD.

I was also able to automatically update my WD to 1.02.06 from 1.01.18. Hopefully this (and the updated WD software) will fix the stability problems I’m having with the unit. I’ve only been able to run about 1-2 weeks before it would fail and need a reboot to continue running backups.

Can any one confirm this firmware fixes the issue with the My book world edition II becoming un accessable after a short period of time ?? i had to disable twonkly and Mionet via SSH to stop my drive going off line after a couple hours

I haven’t used my  MBWEII for about 1 year or more because it didn’t work, so I was waiting for THIS new firmware.

FINALLY, FW v1.02.06 is out and working perfectly, doing everything it supposed to do, NO MORE HEADACHES!

Now I can say thanks WD.

Will the latest version of Twonky (6.0.30) work?  Reason I ask, if so, why is WD only upgrading it to 5.1.9

–Jaren

Not sure if I’m the only one seeing this, but whenI go to:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=mbwo​rld

it says “Release 1.02.06 (1/4/2010)” – last year!

Typo?

–Jaren

Hi everybody,

“automated update” doesn’t work at my MBWE. Where do i find the file for manual updating? Google doesn’t show any files.

Thanks alot!

I thought my upgrade went successful, but now I can’t keep Twonky running. Yesterday I tried to connect to it and it was down. I restarted the MyBook and twonky came back up. I watched a movie last night and everything was fine. I tried to access the page today however and I got Unable to Connect. What are the steps to restart the service via ssh?

Has anyone succesfully upgraded their twonky to the latest version availabl from twonky? Were you able to use the license that came with the device?

I am a little new to this, so if anyone could give me the play by play on how to get it upgraded that would be awesome.

Just did the update here and my MYBW2 is bricked. I had optware installed, and I disabled mionet, not sure if that was the reason.

I will try a few more things before taking the drives out and plugging them to my desktop pc where I can mount them and inspect further what happened. Maybe the log files will give me a hint about what is wrong.

I have the exact same problem.  How did you fix it?

I have Feature Packs installed on my WLE and after the trouble with my Virgin wdsharespace there is NO WAY i will ever upgrade any on my WD NAS devices ever again…  They can stick the upgrades and new features.

If your MBW is the one drive version there is a util called Mybook Rescue that will fix it.  Its free if you bought the feature packs…

I have all problems as described in this tread.

All problems starts with the “new” famous firmware.

I called the WD Support and they told me to bring it back to the shop I bought the WD MyBookWorld and to buy a WD MyBookLive or to reset the system to the factory settings (and to loose all my data).

I found out that it looks that the problem is the TwonkyMedia server.

But I don’t know to fix it.

In some other bulletin boards I found the information that the problem is the MioNet SW, but this isn’t correct.

MioNet isn’t started at default. You have to start and to configure it before you can use it.

(Don’t use MioNet!!! => Some other problem would occur)

What shall I do?

I want the old Firmware back!!!

My Problem:

it looks that 15500 mp3 songs are to much for Twonky

no rescan

the Twonky DB becomes bigger and bigger

the WD NAS config web browser menue becomes slower and slower

to copy from my PC to WD MBW is very slow (old Firmware: 6MB/sec / 1.02.06 Firmware: 3 to 4MB/sec.)

=> after deleting the Twonky DB its much better but after a short time all problem come back

I need a help

I’m still looking for a firmware file to do a manual update. Nobody can help?

Upgrade to the latest version of twonky. I am running 6 and it us working great.

[deleted due to restrictions]

I know WD does not support it, but this fixed my issue with Twonky. It has been running great for the past couple of weeks. The only downsize is having to purchase a license. It is only @ $15 and well worth it.

Have just update My Book World to version 1.02.06.  It seemed to complete ok with no errors, but when I look at the Server Status page on my web browser is says I have zero music, photo and video files.  When I attempt to connect to the shares from my PS3 it says there are no tracks.  I can see the shares from my PC, so I know the files are there and I can run the Java PS3 media server software and connect to the shares from the PS3.  Seems that the problem is with Twonky.

After trolling through the log files I am getting some error messages.

10:08:00:746 socket connect failed ip=127.0.0.1:9030 errno=11110:08:00:746 [Error] - LOG_HTTP: HTTP_open: Failed to connect to ip=127.0.0.1 on port=9030

10:08:00:801 LOG_SYSTEM:file_stat error (errno=2, filename=/twonky/cgi-bin/ffmpeg)10:08:00:801 LOG_SYSTEM:file_stat error (errno=2, filename=c:\ffmpeg/ffmpeg)10:08:00:802 LOG_SYSTEM:file_stat error (errno=2, filename=/twonky/cgi-bin/convert)10:08:00:802 LOG_SYSTEM:file_stat error (errno=2, filename=%PROGRAMFILES%\ImageMagick/convert)

Truncated message

10:08:00:833 LOG_DB:removing directory tree: /DataVolume/jewab/db10:08:00:834 LOG_SYSTEM:dir_unlink error (errno=21,dir=/DataVolume/jewab/db/cache) 10:08:00:834 LOG_SYSTEM:dir_unlink error (errno=21,dir=/DataVolume/jewab/db/temp) 10:08:00:835 LOG_SYSTEM:dir_unlink error (errno=21,dir=/DataVolume/jewab/db/watch1) 10:08:00:835 LOG_SYSTEM:dir_unlink error (errno=21,dir=/DataVolume/jewab/db/watch2)

Truncated message

10:08:00:980 upnp_database_setup_watch_thread_for_location for /Photos10:08:00:981 LOG_SYSTEM:upnp_init_thread (id=229387) with name upnp_database_watch_dir10:08:00:981 upnp_database_watch_dir: set watch active for location 1210:08:00:981 upnp_database_watch_dir LOC=/Photos10:08:00:982 LOG_SYSTEM:fsmon_init returns 1110:08:00:982 LOG_SYSTEM:file_mkdir error (errno=17,dir=/DataVolume/jewab/db/watch12) 10:08:00:982 LOG_SYSTEM:fsmon_add_watch inotify_add_watch (11, /Photos) returns -110:08:00:983 upnp_database_watch_add_folder: fsmon_add_watch failed for "/Photos"10:08:00:984 LOG_SCAN: scanning location 12:/Photos10:08:00:984 LOG_SCAN: no files in directory /Photos10:08:00:984 LOG_SCAN: done scanning /Photos

Above messages appear for both the Music and Video folders.

Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

I would like a hard copy of  the firmware, however I cannot locate through all my searching. Can someone provide a link.

Thanks

’  Hey all! Been a while since I was last on these boards… And looks like there’s FINALLY an updated firmware version that’s worth looking at!

’  My problem is that I’m sitting at home wihtout work at the moment - so I have no access to a network that would allow me to auto-upgrade my devices - my only connection is via a 3G modem attached to my PC.

’  My current versions are 01.00.16 with MioNet 2.3.9.13

’  I would be enternally grateful if someone could supply me with a link to a downloadable file I could use with the manual-update path!!!

’  Thanks in advance, I hope…

I have a 2TB MWB II and just did the firmware update. I was very careful and got the message that the update was successful and the drive would reboot. After the reboot my drive was bricked, with a static white LED showing on the unit and no access. WD are sending me a new drive under warrantee, which is good, but I desperately need my data back - about 10 years of family photos and holiday videos :frowning:

I bought this drive because it is a super safe mirrored drive so if one drive fails my data is still safe on the other drive. I didn’t realise I could lose my data after a simple firmware update.

I’m presuming the data is still there and just the firmware is trashed. I tried extracting one of the drives and connecting it to my Windows PC but the HD is not recognised as Windows partitions, I think its Linux, which I know nothing about. Could anyone offer any advice on how I could retrieve my data or maybe reinstall the firmware please!!!

@dove1 : You can download a live CD from a lot of linux distros, like ubuntu. With your drive connected, boot with the live CD and read the data. Basically you need to:

1. Download Ubuntu from ubuntu.com.

2. Burn the ISO into a CD/DVD.

3. Boot the PC from the CD/DVD.

4. Select option to Try Ubuntu without install.

5. In Ubuntu, go to Places and select your drive.

Now you should have access to your drive and files and do whatever you want to, like back up your docs, etc.

1 Like