New Release - Firmware Version 1.02.04 for My Book World Edition I & II (8/16/10)

hey guys,

i’ve read through a fair enough of this thread, but not all of it as all i’m seeing are complaints… which is why im also here.

my MBWE was on some older firmware (dont remember which) and every thing worked fine. A couple of days ago, twonky had problems playing back files of any sort - it was seriously slowww

To fix, i tried a reboot - which didn’t help, so i tried a firmware update. I’m now on 1.01.16, and twonky started streaming music again but this time, i had no option to select video or pictures. To fix this issue, i rebooted again. and nothing changed. came into work a day later and now twonky has disappeared from all TVs (we have twonky on several laptops which all still work, so its definitely not the TVs), and the server IP address does not respond - I receive the standard @can not display page’ notice.

any ideas on this…? I may have missed a post where this has been discussed, but all the posts I read did not mention this problem on this firmware. any help would be great - we need to get our TVs running media again!

HI, go to twony media settings at ‘your MBWE ip’:9000 (e.g 192.168.1.101:9000).

There you’ll see what your twonky recognizes, how much music files, pictures and movies.
If the pictures and videos are absent (marked 0), add them at ‘Sharing’ under  ‘Basic Setup’.

Hope it helps.

Hi Jacob,

thanks for your reply. forgot to mention in my previous post, that when i do go to that IP, nothing loads, as if Twonky didn’t exist. If i navigate to Twonky using the Configuration pages of MBWE (which in turn also pulls up the IP:9000), I still get nothing on my screen.

I had read somewhere that I shoudl re-build the database, from the Maintenance  tab, but seeing as I can’t even access Twonky at all, Im not sure how I’d get around that.

Its almost as if the Twonky  programme has become corrupted.

Accessing twonky directly by IP or WD admin screen is the same.

It is possible that your twonky server is simply dead.
Shut down the device, plug it out of power for few minutes and plug it in back.

Some time ago it did the trick with a strange thing I had with my MBWE.

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the tip. I’ve turned the drive off using the power button, but did not disconnect from the mains supply. I’ll try this way and see what I get.

Total fail WD - you should be ashamed of both yourselves and the level of customer support you provide regarding this issue.

For anyone interested:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-249817/upgrade-twonky-to-version-6

I have just upgraded to twonky 6.0.23 (the link to which is further down the thread) - and it works fantastically well.

If you wish to try it - be it on your own head! - I will not talk anyone through it or provide assistance - it’s YOUR choice whether you upgrade via this method or not - all I’ll say is that it works for me - and works **bleep** well.

No doubt this post will be deleted as soon as an admin sees it - if only they responded as quickly regarding their customers legitimate concerns regarding the outdated (and in many cases - useless) version of Twonky they provide for their NAS customers.

I’m saddened by how this has been handled. I shutter to think what the experience would have been like if my parents had purchased this NAS. Not only can I no longer reccomend this product to friends and family, but I find myself ignoring WDC products all together. I spec’d out and ordered four large servers designed to work on a shared 200TB data warehouse.  WD VelociRaptor would have been part of the spec for some of the drive sets. But I found myself arguing with the rep and demanding that no WD products touch this order. So jaded am I by this WB 2 firmware experience.

I not only think we’re being ignored as a community, I think we’re being _intentionally_  ignored. And that is what pisses me off the most.

firmware version 01.01.18 with MioNet 4.3.1.7 when I go  to upgrade it saws I have the newest version??? 

THIS MY BOOK IS A PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE. IT WILL NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE AND THE TWONKY ■■■■ WILL NOT SHOW UP ALL MY MUSIC FILES ON MY PS3.(  50.000 TRACKS ) ALSO I AM HAVING PROBLEMS SEEING THE DAME DRIVE IN WINDOWS 7 THE SOFTWARE IS A REAL JOKE . HOW THE **bleep** CAN ANYONE SELL THIS RUBBISH AS A MEDIA SERVER I DO NOT KNOW. ANYONE OUT THERE GOT ANY ADVICE ON HOW I CAN SEE ALL MY MUSIC FILES ON A PS3 USING THIS WORLD BOOKS 1GB WHITE LIGHT DRIVE? OR AM I SCREWED WITH THIS MANY FILES.

I REGREAT BUYING THIS PRODUCT, IT AS BEEN A TOTAL WAIST OF TIME AND MONEY.

@GREHO,

I have the same issue with the music file limit… I think it is a limit set with the installed version of Twonky.

Check out this site here for help on changing thingsaround on it…

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/

Def follow the First Steps guide for the Optware packages, then the Feature Packs and then prepping the white light walkth-thru too. All very helpful.

Sent a message to the customer service a few days ago and it looks like we may finally be seeing a new firmware roll out soon. Hopefully this rolls out before Christmas.

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. [deleted for privacy].
I spoke with our Software Development lead and i was told that there is a planned firmware release scheduled for this month. I do not have the release date as of yet. I do keep a list of customers to contact once the update will be available. I have added your email to my list and I will be sending out an email as soon as I find out a release date. I will also include any release notes that will be available as to what the firmware update will address.

Can you say the email of that guy?! I want to give him my email to contact me

It looks like it was sent from a generic account without a return e-mail address just an incident number. When I hear something back I will post it here. I’m just hopeing they upgrade Twonky so I can access my media through my Sony blu-ray players.

The restore doens’t work with a big folder !! This product is :angry:

Trying to get this locking up issue with transfering 800mb+ at a time issue. So another week bytes the dust. Anyone ha’ppen to have a working full download of the 1.02.05 version? Only getting partial downloads of the previous links.

I did it with this link  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0BA13F1B and it worked great.

the only bug I found is still Twonky version being old and not recognizing mkv (so you have to rename them into wmv).

Have the Upgrade problems with Firmware V 1.02.04 been resolved for MYWE I?   I don’t want to press the upgrade button until I get an “all clear” .  Thanks

Be carefull with MAC this DD doesn’t work !! :angry:

Just had the chance to try the 1.02.05. Still locks up after 600+mb being backed up at the same time

My first recent attempt to upgrade the firmware was met with “Connection Refused”.

Is this a regular thing then?

btw no auto update of the firmware has ever worked for me.

Roy