New Release - Firmware Version 1.02.04 for My Book World Edition I & II (8/16/10)

Currently the only confirmed report is a fix for Itunes 10 when it comes to apple products. We will be contacting california on Monday during business hours to see if there are any confirmed reports for Time Machine Products.

My main concern is as to whether Twonky will be updated with this new firmware.

I currently own a Samsung Wave - which can communicate with just about any media server you wish to name - but not the version of Twonky (5.15?) on my MBWE II. In point of fact it can’t even see it - though Twonky is aware that it’s there.

I have installed the latest version of Twonky (6.*) on my PC and my Wave is quite happy to stream from there.

Since one of the fundamental purposes of the MBWE is media streaming - it only seems logical that the supplied media server be kept up to date. Either that or allow users to install new versions themselves (which we all know can be done) without invalidating the warranty.

TroyH wrote:

djtiger wrote:

Would it be possible to get an ETA on the fix?  High level estimate would be alright.

At this point, since we can’t reproduce the problem, we need to wait until we get a sufficient number of drives back from customers to determine why these drives are failing. Until we know that, any ETA I could give you would involve dice, hats, or thin air. And, personally, I’d rather tell you I don’t know than make up a number. 

gxprice wrote:

Before I go out and buy the SATA/USB station to use at least the disk part of my new, very pretty brick, couple of things:

I can answer your questions, but I wouldn’t recommend doing putting the drive in an enclosure. If it turns out that your failure was caused by a failed hard drive, then you’re going to have a USB enclosure with a bad drive. Instead, you should contact tech support to request an RMA. If you have any problems getting an RMA, feel free to PM me

As for your questions, it’s a 3.5" drive and you can repartition/format in Windows if you don’t mind losing your data.

TroyH…

You have me very worried - WD is waiting on a certain number of RMA’s to determine the cause because you “can’t reproduce the problem”?  That can mean only one of two things; either the team is under-resourced and not dedicated to the issue or lack the technical skill required to understand the product.

Both are obvious recipes for market failure…

I cannot fathom for one minute that a ‘dedicated’ team working on what are apparently quite prevalent issues “can’t reproduce the problem”.  

In any case, it beggars belief why hasn’t there been a greater input/interest in these forums from staff in collating information to form at least a basic diagnosis.

As a minimum, this would provide some indication to customers that WD is serious about delivering a prompt resolution.

Out of several hundred posts I would estimate the number of staff posts would be <10-20…  it’s just not cricket mate…

I’m guessing the majority of MBWE users in this community will be letting their feet do the talking…

Windza

Tens weeks since intitial release - and still not fixed?

Think I’ll let my fingers do the talking.

Optware and Linux - here I come!

Ftp over http seems not to work any more. Has anyone gained access to his MBW with a URL like
##ftp://user>:<passwd>@192.168.x.x ?

Not sure if others have reported similar in this thread but for those with the ‘inaccessible after short use’ problem on 1.02.04 firmware - I can confirm that Vlado’s first suggestions (not the expert steps) in his post → here ← successfully resolved the issue (at least in my case anyway with a 4TB MBWEII).

Where I was consistently unable to connect to the drive after 6-12hrs I have now been able to connect reliably for 2-3 weeks straight and everything is still running without hitch.

Hope this helps someone keep their hair in place… at least until WD release another monumentally disastrous new firmware.

I have firmware version FW 01.01.18 on my WDMBWE 1TB purchased from UK PC World 9th October 2010.

The update checker says this is up to date. Is this right?

Rgds., Roy

Yup - WD released an update (1.02.04) then pulled it due to “unforseen” problems.

The issue now, is that that was over ten weeks ago - and its been two weeks since any official reponse in this thread.

I bought WD for two reasons - 1) Affordability 2) WD’s reputation.

Looks like I got 1) right.

Hey, what do I care - I’ve got Twonky 6 running - and if WD want to discuss warranty issues I’ll be happy to discuss lack of customer support.

2 Likes

Is there any real risk to change FW number through SSH and then do WD auto update to get the older FW that is published now?

I mean, if there wasn’t WD-techs should already have provided this soloution…

I just cant stand waiting 5-6 minutes between each picture in the web-ui and almost 10 full minutes to reboot the NAS…

Hmm …

1. I had tried such way - changed version using SSH and manual updated firmware to the older. NAS said SUCCESS, GO TO REBOOT and never return back.

2. Slow WEB access and slow boot. Using SSH type command ‘top’ and try to find process ‘ksoftirqd/0’. If it takes 80-99% of cpu time, you just have hdd corrupted. In my case i have 600+ uncorrectable sectors and 10000+ sectors with access time >1 second. These sectors are the main reason why the NAS works so slow.

I have firmware version 1.02.04 running on my world book.

iTunes is not able to access the worldbook. 

I gather a fix for this is being worked on- in the form of a firmware update?

Can this please confirmed - along with an ETA for the update?

Thanks

GandalfGreyhelm wrote:

Yup - WD released an update (1.02.04) then pulled it due to “unforseen” problems.

The issue now, is that that was over ten weeks ago - and its been two weeks since any official reponse in this thread.

I bought WD for two reasons - 1) Affordability 2) WD’s reputation.

Looks like I got 1) right.

Hey, what do I care - I’ve got Twonky 6 running - and if WD want to discuss warranty issues I’ll be happy to discuss lack of customer support.

How did you get Twonky 6 installed?  I got my World Book a couple of weeks ago and it came with Twonky 5.1.  What’s new in Twonky 6 compared to Twonky 5.1?

thanks

I have a bricked MBWE 1TB edition after only one days use.  It would appear that some of those that managed to upgrade to 1.02.04 have lived to regret it, see this link:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Firmware-update-gt-Unit-unresponsive/td-p/45564/highlight/true/page/2

I assume that my new unit had 1.02.04 already on it and hence i now have a dead NAS.

After a call to WD support I gave up and sent the unit back for a replacement.  This arrived complete with 1.02.04 and I have installed it and it is working perfectly together with my WD TV Live.

Anyone care to try this version…

http://download.wdc.com/nas/wdhxnc-01.02.05.img

(Found on another site)

No offence - but if you have to ask how to install it - then I really shouldn’t tell you :slight_smile: - Google “Optware”.

As regards the difference - my Samsung Wave smartphone can now communicate with the MBWE - with Twonky 5.1 the server could see the phone - but the phone couldn’t see the server.

Since one of the main objectives in purchasing a NAs was to be able to stream to my phone - I had no alternative but to upgrade Twonky myself.

Hi, I have tried that firmware 01.02.05 and it works fine for me. The problem with unaccessibility has gone. Solved my problem.

Thanks.

Interesting (and brave :))

As a point of interest - what version of Twonky does that firmware have?

Twonky server 5.1.4-1

The MBWE has an option to check for new firmware.  When I tried using this to check for 01.02.05 Firmware, the MBWE failed to find 01.02.05 and instead told me that my current firmware was up to date.

Are new firmware versions typically available to installed directly using the HTML interface on the MBWE, or do you typically need to download them to your computer from the WD site and then upload them to the MBWE?

Or is my MBWE not dowloading 01.02.05 because it’s not yet officially available?