New Release - Firmware Version 1.02.04 for My Book World Edition I & II (8/16/10)

Thanks - yes I’ll have to buy the SATA/USB adapter station.

I’m kicking myself for not following my own rule - never install a new update/firmware <1 month, without finding out if there are any angry posts about it. Guess I’m on the other side for a change.

Mods - can you please escalate this issue to your  contact inside WD before more disks turn braindead.

WD tech support staff is  clueless.

Also handing back the units for RMA is not an option for any data security conscious user (handing your data on a platter - sorry for the bad pun :slight_smile: .  so please change your replacement policy to accomodate users who can provide a valid serial/outer case.

Meteorman wrote:

Hallo

Ich hab jetzt Twonky 6.01RC9 installiert, läuft super.

meteorman

Translation: “I have now installed 6.01RC9, it works superb.”

How did you do it.? I still can not watch my MKVs and there is no response from WD. Over the weekend I was already looking for new NAS.

Br, B

Since the new firmware-update, MBWE doesn’t go to standby-mode. :frowning:

why did you upgrade?

1 Like

WD should remove that firmware so nobody else do the upgrade to damnation.

1 Like

They were informed about the problems 3 weeks ago and they are doing nothing

1 Like

It looks like they (WD) did exactly the same mess with WD ShareSpace firmware.

At least they already pulled it out (the ShareSpace one) so nobody can download it…

Does anybody here have an idea when it’s gonna be fixed?

We are working on implementing another version of Twonky which will fix the issue with the missing MKV files.  This is being worked on along with the recently surfaced issue with iTunes server no longer working with iTunes 10 that was released last Wednesday.

We are aggressively working on getting solutions implemented as quick as possible.

2 Likes

Finally an official word on this issue. Nice to know you are working on it. Thanks for the info.

When you release a new firmware?

Thanks

2 Likes

they release it when it is done…

and stop complaining about the firmware,  if you dont like it,  dont upgrade 

Hi - m drive will not boot at all after doing the firmware upgrade

I got an ‘upgrade successful - rebooting’ message

and now the drive is hung - I cannot reach it over the network

are you working on a fix for this as well?

Thanks in advance for your help

Great solution as my WD does not respond. But I am stupid and I know only Windows. Do you think I can use same method connecing the drive to Win7?

Thanks for the help!!!

Jerome, as you are the best, do you think I can connect the drive to a windows server with SATA connector?

Thanks for the help!!!

cheytac01 - while you mention the itunes and twonky issues are being worked upon - any words for those of us whose Mbwe I/IIs were zonked by this update??

The silence on this issue is a bit baffling - an update that kills your unit might qualify as higher priority than itunes compatibility. I can guess WD tech people already working on identifying this issue but any kind of quicker acknowledgement/response from WD would go a long way to maintain some trust.

On a personal note I don’t care anymore as I’ve already ripped open my Mbwe’s case and currently copying over the contents to another disk via SATA/USB adaptor. I should get my Synology NAS delievered soon where I’ll reuse the Mbwe’s disk.

WD your loss. 

Luigi_Maccarini - A windows machine will not be able to read the linux_raid format of the disk. You need to connect it to a Linux machine - time to ask favor from a geek friend!

Alternately you can install linux under virtualization (VMware etc.) on your Windows machine. Same for any Mac users.

cheytac01 wrote:

We are working on implementing another version of Twonky which will fix the issue with the missing MKV files.  This is being worked on along with the recently surfaced issue with iTunes server no longer working with iTunes 10 that was released last Wednesday.

We are aggressively working on getting solutions implemented as quick as possible.

I assume, that proper testing could take a few weeks. Do you work on the “freezing” issue (mentioned in separate discussion thread) as well?

I just had to swith it off and on again…

TO: WD

will you fix the issue that the upgarde dosen’t work? i use the version

Description NAS Firmware
Version 01.01.18 with MioNet 4.2.27
Last Upgrade Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:55:04

br

ansi

Just an FYI

Tech support assisted me in getting my drive back online this morning

It needed to plug the drive into a wall socket rather than a power strip to get it to work again

a voltage thing perhaps?

At any rate, my drive is operating perfectly again

:slight_smile:

The silence on the brickified units is baffling! Updating Twonky and iTunes should be minute problems in comparison, by any standards. For every reported failed upgrade here on the forum, you can surely count thousands of now brickified units we’ll never hear of.

I’d expect a reputable company like WD to do better than this head-in-the-sand strategy.

I had to gut the drive from my MBWE and purchase a cabinet for the drive to salvage my files. Apart from the loss of hardware and money, I am now also losing many hours of time to involuntary Linux hacking to get the files back, hours I’d rather spend with my family or doing actual work. And not a word of understanding, not a single excuse from WD.

Not saying “I’m sorry” for a mistake, is worse than making the mistake in the first place.

Bye, WD. I wish you luck, you’ll need it.

Daniel

(Owner of several WD units of which none will ever get a new firmware from now on)