New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

WD is happy to announce the release of its firmware update for the My Book World I & II.  For more information, please refer to Answer ID 3304.

Also, please feel free to post your experiences with the firmware update here in this thread.

1 Like

Great to see a new firmware for my My Book World 1 (white lights) after the 1.02.10 episode… manual installation went smoothly, and I can connect to the disk even with Time Machine, however I’m still getting exactly the same error as I was with 1.02.06 under Os X 10.7.2 when Time Machine tries to back up: 

‘The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features’

Is there a setting on the NAS or in Lion that needs to be changed/updated, or did I miss something?

Thanks!

Thanks for starting the new thread - keeping us informed, in a coherent format, is greatly apprecaited.

Jazzwhistle wrote:

Great to see a new firmware for my My Book World 1 (white lights) after the 1.02.10 episode… manual installation went smoothly, and I can connect to the disk even with Time Machine, however I’m still getting exactly the same error as I was with 1.02.06 under Os X 10.7.2 when Time Machine tries to back up: 

‘The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features’

Is there a setting on the NAS or in Lion that needs to be changed/updated, or did I miss something?

Thanks!

After you see the error message, does the Time Machine backup successfully, or do you get a failure?

You mentioned that you can connect to the disk. Does htis mean that you can browse the Time Machine backups using the GUI on your Mac. or you can browse it using Finder?

After the error message time machine goes to “backup failed” status, and nothing is backed up.

I’ve never managed to get TM working before with this NAS… so I meant that I can connect in the finder either under NAS which shows under “Shared Devices”, or with NFS using “nfs://192.168.1.199/nfs/Neil” using static IP setting for user share “Neil”, or using AFP with “afp://192.168.1.199/Neil”.

It looks to me as though this part of the log is the interesting part, starting (at the bottom…) with enabling AFP:

10/20 02:38:18  NAS daemon.info wixEvent[3647]: System Startup - System startup.
 10/20 08:38:18  NAS daemon.info init: Starting pid 6803, console /dev/ttyS0: ‘/sbin/getty’
 10/20 08:38:18  NAS daemon.info init: Starting pid 6800, console /dev/null: ‘/bin/touch’
 10/20 02:18:00  NAS daemon.notice afpd[6275]: afp_disconnect: primary reconnect succeeded
 10/20 02:17:58  NAS daemon.notice afpd[5635]: afp_dsi_transfer_session: succesfull primary reconnect
 10/20 02:17:58  NAS daemon.notice afpd[5611]: Reconnect: killing new session child[6275] after transfer
 10/20 02:17:58  NAS daemon.notice afpd[5611]: Reconnect: transfering session to child[5635]
 10/20 02:17:58  NAS daemon.notice afpd[6275]: afp_disconnect: trying primary reconnect
 10/20 02:17:57  NAS daemon.notice afpd[6275]: AFP3.3 Login by WD_Backup
 10/20 02:17:32  NAS daemon.err afpd[5635]: dsi_stream_read: len:-1, Invalid argument
 10/20 02:17:32  NAS daemon.err afpd[5635]: select: Invalid argument
 10/20 01:46:28  NAS daemon.notice afpd[5635]: AFP3.3 Login by WD_Backup
 10/20 01:45:42  NAS daemon.notice afpd[5611]: AFP/TCP started, advertising 192.168.1.199:548 (2-2-0-p6)

I started the update process through the web based interface and it has been running for an hour now but the progress of firmware update page is sitting at 70% for the last 30min. Since it says not to interrupt the process I’m wondering how long to wait before I need to do something. And what that something might be that I need to do?

FWIW, when I updated the firmware it seemed to be stuck at 40% for over an hour. I was about to call WD support, but I closed the browser and started up the Network Storage Manager again, and it said firmware 1.02.12 was installed. So far (about 3 hrs.) everything is working fine.

What exactly does this fix?

Will this resolve my DLNA issues where my PS3 won’t connect to the HDD via DLNA?

Nope, it hasn’t.

Can someone please explain (in ■■■■■ proof terms with no jargon) what this has done please as I can’t see what it’s fixed.

After the update my twonky service lost the directory mapping. When i access the service the are no media avaliable. How can i fix the problem?

I have just updated my firmware after seeing a new version was out, I missed the last one.

Anyway when it rebooted it kind of stuck on ‘starting system now’ at the 5% mark.  I can still access the files but it is extremely slow at transfering through FTP or SFTP and AFP.  

I have tried rebooting and every time it gets stuck on that screen on the inquirer page but I can go to the main admin page and login.  But again the trying to get from page to page is incredibly slow.  Is there anything that may have changed when updating that I can change back to get some speed again or is this a bug?

Hi,

Just did the update manually because for some reason ‘Check for update’ was giving me

a Connection refused, but anyway it works fine, my network now sees the drive, good times.

However, before the last update I could use the Towonky Media server, the last update (.10)

gave me a ‘Page Cannot be Displayed’, i though it mite have something to do with the other

problems, so i didn’t question it, i assumed WD would fix it in this update, but when i press

‘Media Server’ (after this update - .12) i still get  ‘Page Cannot be Displayed’, and TBH the

Towonky Media server is a feature i use alot to watch video from my drive on my iPad,

and i wont that feature back.

Any ideas WD?

This Update cant be your serious.
Loggin in as a registered user via AFP takes now longer than before on 1.02.10!
I wait 45!!! Seconds before i can see any Files.

I dont want to wait for that. It took before 1.02.06 less than 1!!! Second!

Are you on Mac or PC? I’d check that there isn’t some kind of caching going on related to the previous config that you could clean out on your system:

"Client side caching can lead to issues where the local cached representation is out of sync with the remote state"

I connect much faster with Lion + the new firmware compared with SL + 1.02.06 - like your previous set up it now doesn’t even take even 1 second before I can see my files, whereas before it took about 10-15 seconds.

I have a My Book World Edition ii (white light) with firmware 1.02.06

I have tried updating the firmware to 1.02.12 but have had no luck

I have tried it 5 times, as follows:

1st - Manual update - 53% Error: Firmware Update Failed!

2nd - Automatic update - 40% Error: Firmware Update Failed!

3rd - Manual update - 40% Error: Firmware Update Failed!

4th - Automatic update - 39% Error: Firmware Update Failed!

5th - Manual update - 40% Error: Firmware Update Failed!

Between some of the updates I restart the system.

During the update I dont touch the comp.

Please help!

Im on a Mac Lion 10.7.2 how can I clean the cache for loggin in faster?

The first thing to do for anyone on Lion having trouble with anything logging in to anything is to repair permission from a Recovery session:

Full instructions: http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

USB Tool:  http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

Go to “Disk Utility” and do a full repair of permissions (and while you’re there you might as well do a disk repair too).  This is not the same as using Disk Utility during a normal OsX session!

I was having all sorts of problems initially after upgrading to Lion: with my router connection, iPhoto export to FB or Picasa, iCloud connection… I quickly traced all the above to a problem with Keychain Access which wouldn’t even run far enough to allow me to use the Keychain First Aid.  

A complete permissions repair from the downloaded Recovery Disk on a USB key fixed all these problems in one fell swoop :slight_smile:

FWIW my install went brilliantly. Logged in via bonjour and selected advanced on the GUI, downloaded and updated in a matter of minutes. Time Machine has been doing backups hourly since this morning. all good so far

I manually upgraded yesterday with the beta version provided by WD in MP.

Time Machine works again without problems, access to my files is perfect, and I have for the moment, no problems, fingers crossed … wait and see …

Pascal

Encouraged by your success with Time Machine I tried again - corrected the NAS time which was 10 minutes slow (can’t get NTP to connect…) and disabled HDD Standby… SUCCESS!!! Thank you all :slight_smile: