New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

BBBBBrandon,

I have same problem described above - CNIDs not working, then AFP not registered (sorry for lack of precise wording, I’m not au fait with this kind of thing).

Your last post said you thought you knew what the issue was - and hinted at a solution.  I can’t find the solution you came up with.  Could you re-post?

Thanks

Andy

So, this is basically it?

We have (again) lots and lots of pages with people posting a mix of success or failure stories. As far as I remember, many of the issues couldn’t be resolved or even narrowed down to a specific source.

My problem is, I’m no pro with anything related to IT. Hence, I don’t understand half of the “just enter this and that into the terminal”-instructions or have half a clue what’s so dramatically difficult when switching from one network protocoll to another.

I’m just a consumer trying to use his less than a year old product (MBWII) with his less than a year old computer (iMac on Lion).

After what I’ve read here about the several firmware releases, I’m not convinced that upgrading my MBWII to 1.02.12 is actually such a good idea, because it feels like I’m risking the back-ups of our household’s other Mac (still on Snow Leo) in the process.

Sure, these are only back-ups and as such only copies of the actual data on this computer. Still, I can’t shake the impression that I shouldn’t be put into a position to even have to do deal with these kinds of decisions. After all, I opted to buy a NAS instead of an USB drive, because I wanted to create a care free easy to use back-up solution.

To finally reach the point of posting a question: is there any chance we will get an upgrade to the firmware, which I can install without having to worry about the possible consequences? (I know there’s always some kind of “residual risk”. Nothing’s a 110% guaranteed).

Or, if there isn’t a sure fire way to keep the data on the drive safe, would it help to ditch the current back-ups and re-format the drive after the upgrade? Switching to a different raid mode (like no-raid mode at all)? Anything? After all’s said and done, I just want to have a reliably working back-up drive. Is there any chance to get there in a mixed Lion / Snow Leo environment with the MBWII or should I just give up on that notion?

Clearly, the silent treatment isn’t helping. At this point we must assume WD is unable to fix the MBWEII or unwilling to make it a priority. Leading up to the latest firmware, this board had WD employees actively conversing with us. Not all customers were kind due to their justified frustration, but at least we had some updates. Now, nothing.

And this problem is not just relegated to time machine or lion. The latest firmware has essentially bricked my NAS because my ps3 can’t even stream from it with any dependability. This firmware has made this $200 investment virtually useless.
Maybe it is really just a chipset issue on the MBWEII. Maybe there is no solution. After all, this has lingered since lion was released!

My MBW1 white has been on for 51 days so far without a problem, but as I said in an early part of this thread and other posts the unit use to crash on long up loads from one computer but the other one was ok this has 1gb network port the other one had 100mb port now bothare the same at 1gb. I have this streaming to LG media player with no problems that includes hd video files. I do not use the back as I prefere to use usb drives for that. The two main systems are windows 7 there xp and linux on the network and everthing seems to be happy. So far it looks like a time machine/lion problem.

Ps I have tried my xbox and ps3 and both can see and play from MBW1.

I have windows machines on my network and a ps3 as well.
The problem is not just limited to Mac/lion at least for me.
Never had these issues prior to my upgrade to .10 an .12 firmware.

I have just updated the firmware to 01.02.12 on my MBW I network drive after experiencing continued lost connections and very slow responses.  I am still finding that it is taking an excessively long time to be able to access and login to the drive via WD Discovery software or even directly by inputing the drive’s IP address into a browser.

I was hoping to use the drive on the local home network to backup photos from the various family cameras and phones, but find I can not rely on it being available when needed.  I’m now regretting not the money I spent towards a more expensive option.

Hi, I had read all the comments and as I go t a new WD MB Ed.II with Firmware 01.02.06 on my question is “why should I upgrade to 01.02.12” ??

The only time I find the MBW1 slow is from waking up, after there is no problem. I do not use the WD Discovery at all transfers are done windows explorer or firefox for login the only problem I have is the torrent software, but I can live with that for the time being.

I can’t even stream music. DLNA errors all the time.
I want a new NAS.

Can I also connect to the WD_Backup share from Finder → Go → Connect to server? I have many problems since I installed the last firmware version and I really need the Time Machine functionality. In the beginning both my normal and my WD_backup share disconnected automatically after a few minutes and now my WD_share is totally gone… By connecting to the data share from Finder → Go → Connect to server → IP address I now have a stable connection. Which IP address / server address I have to use to connect to the WD-Backup share?

Thanks.

I hear you all, had a wonderful experience with my 6 TB WD mybookworld before the new firmware.

After I’ve had trouble with transefer speeds, sometimes as low as 100kb/s when I had 35 mb/s before…

Also very often I’m having trouble accessing my drive… found that removing the Sleep function cured that but today I had 3 error messages when logging into the drive about HDD SMART not working and the drives being to warm… intressting that you can turn of a function but then have a product that dosen’t support you turning it off…

I’ve turned it back on since I don’t want to brick my drive and I hope it works as advertised… otherwise it’s going to be a recall from me or WD perhaps can rush out and new frimware update? Anything is better than nothing…

So, another month has passed and nothing new in terms of firmware has been released.

Since I’m still reluctant to try the 1.02.12 version due to the problems reported here, I decided to reactivate the AFP on my Mac OS Lion. I’m not really happy with this, because I had to mess around with the terminal, but at least I can log on as a registered user with Finder again.

Time Machine still doesn’t work, though. I’m still getting an error message that AFP doesn’t support the necessary functions (or something similar).

Either way, this is the point where I stop caring.

My other MAC with Snow Leopard can still do its Back-up on the MBWII and for the machine with Lion I’ll just stick to my USB drive, which I had to use for the last 3 to 6 months, anyway (I don’t even know when this whole mess started, because it’s so far in the past now).

I do realise it was partly my fault to try and go the cheap way for a NAS. I’ve learned from this and will not try my luck with a WD NAS again. I might still be buying WD USB drives etc., but I’m done with anything more sophisticated produced by WD.

So long and thanks for - ehm - at least trying.

Hi,

I have also updated to1.02.12.

After updating I keep loosing connection to the NAS. It’s completely useless.

I managed to downgrade to 1.02.05 and now it works again.

I have not heard anything from WD support in 2 weeks. Thanks to a post in this forum I got it working again. But only by downgrading.

This is for sure the last time I buy a WD. Crappy support. :angry:

which  fews myboom models is it for – it doesn’t say

Just remove all apple Finder folders/files (.DS_Store,  .trashes, ._??? ) - the ones created by mounting a drive in Finder. You can do it through SSH login, or in terminal when mounted. 

I have been trying to update my MyBook World white light via the manual option via the web access. I have tried using chrome and firefox on Mac OS Lion and Win 7. Everytime it seems to load the file after I hit submit but then tells me no file was selected. 

The current firmware on it is 01.01.08. 

yes, i can reproduce it the same way.

1 Macbook Air connected through EThernet gets the WD_Backup mounted and backs up, second (and all other macbooks) cannot mount WD_Backup, only the public share on mybookworld.

This WD Drive was the worst buy i’ve ever made!!!

I am unable to update mine - when accessing the web interface throuhg both IE and Safari, when updating manually I browse to the location of the image file, click submit, and nothing happens, apart from when using safari after 20 secondes or so I get the message ‘no file selected’ and the location I had browsed to is cleared from the input box.

I am currently on firmware 01.01.08, and am unable to update automatically as it says my firmware is up to date.

My model is a WDH2NC.

Thanks

Nick

I’ve updated my WD World Book Edition to the current version (01.02.12 with MioNet 4.3.1.13).   I was using this drive with Snow Leopard a Time Machine without any problems for many months.   I can mount the partition on the WD drive but when I try to backup or access the backup, Time Machine complains with:

“The network backup disk down not spport the required AFP features”

I thought the new update to the WD drive was supposed to fix that.  Please advise. 

Thank you

Exactly the same issue for me.  Followed the WD guide for setting up Time Machine, but no success - Time Machine keeps throwing the AFP error.

Using Lion & My Book World with firmware 01.02.12

Come on WD, sort it out.