New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

So, this is basically it?

We have (again) lots and lots of pages with people posting a mix of success or failure stories. As far as I remember, many of the issues couldn’t be resolved or even narrowed down to a specific source.

My problem is, I’m no pro with anything related to IT. Hence, I don’t understand half of the “just enter this and that into the terminal”-instructions or have half a clue what’s so dramatically difficult when switching from one network protocoll to another.

I’m just a consumer trying to use his less than a year old product (MBWII) with his less than a year old computer (iMac on Lion).

After what I’ve read here about the several firmware releases, I’m not convinced that upgrading my MBWII to 1.02.12 is actually such a good idea, because it feels like I’m risking the back-ups of our household’s other Mac (still on Snow Leo) in the process.

Sure, these are only back-ups and as such only copies of the actual data on this computer. Still, I can’t shake the impression that I shouldn’t be put into a position to even have to do deal with these kinds of decisions. After all, I opted to buy a NAS instead of an USB drive, because I wanted to create a care free easy to use back-up solution.

To finally reach the point of posting a question: is there any chance we will get an upgrade to the firmware, which I can install without having to worry about the possible consequences? (I know there’s always some kind of “residual risk”. Nothing’s a 110% guaranteed).

Or, if there isn’t a sure fire way to keep the data on the drive safe, would it help to ditch the current back-ups and re-format the drive after the upgrade? Switching to a different raid mode (like no-raid mode at all)? Anything? After all’s said and done, I just want to have a reliably working back-up drive. Is there any chance to get there in a mixed Lion / Snow Leo environment with the MBWII or should I just give up on that notion?