New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

Hi, in line with the last posts from ITArch and tech0, I believe that these problems are generated by the combination of several different issues.

• MBWE is very limited by its hardware lack of power (has always been slow answering to the html interface). 

• When pushed to the limit, cooling of the electronics gets critical.

• Mixing in the network different protocols with AFP either overloads the hardware or has a programming mistake. 

I will to describe how my MBWE is working fine for me with 01.02.10 firmware.

After updating to 01.02.10 when it was published, my MBWE lost totally the communication with the network.

To be able to communicate again with the MBWE, I did as follows:

• connect MBWE directly (cable) to the router. MBWE was (luckily) configured with fixed IP.

• connect the Mac also directly by cable

• removed ANY other computer generating trafic in the network (specially important: remove ALL the windows PCs)

With this it is possible to recover initially the contact with the MBWE, by power cycling it and in case of need, by disconecting and reconecting it from the router (after the MBWE has finished the complete start-up, be patient, may take long time, at least sime minutes).

First thing after this: disable ALL that is not needed for tha Mac and the task, this will help reducing overheating.

In the following Advanced setup tabs:

System > advanced: SSH eneble, HDD standby enable, LED status disable

Network > LAN: use fixed IP

Network > services: ONLY AFP enable, rest, disable

Network > remote access: disable and stop Mionet

Storage > downloads: set destination of share to “----” (disable downloader)

Media > Twonky mediaserver: disable Twonky using terminal and SSH by the process found in the post from Vlado:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Drive-Becomes-Un-Accessible-After-short-use-II/td-p/38659/highlight/true

Media > iTunes: disable it

After rebooting, with all this, my MBWE is working fine since one moth, doing backups of up-to 2 GB with Time Machine, but with the following remarks:

• Log on wit AFP is SLOW, roughly 45 seconds after trying to connect to the network share.

• Web interface works fine, even a bit faster than used to be.

• BUT the most important, and it may be a big BUT, no windows system can be connected to the network.

Either by cable or WIFI, every time I connect my Win XP laptop, the MBWE starts having the same kind of “initial troubles”, network interface gets off, and you have to (completely) restart the unit and remove the Windows PC to be able to come back to the fine working of the unit. Also important to remember, after such an event, you may need to unplug and plug again the network cable to regain access to the unit the first time.

Hope his serves to you also, it is working fine for me as long as I only wanted to use the MBWE for the Mac and remember to disconnect the network cable whenever I connect the Windows PC to the net.

Regards

Hello Greyland,

You’re not the only one to fight with this issue. It is the same behaviour here, I tried to reset it, doesn’t solve it. Now I’m trying to reset it and won’t change the admin’s password. I’ll keep you updated if I’ll find anything interesting.

Good luck !

Are you all getting only 1.1mb/s of speed in samba shares?! :s

when will the new firmware be out for the mybookworld so that it works again with itunes???

i mean how difficult can this be. about 15 seconds after itunes is updated there are n number of hackers releasing ways to resolve the issue but it is stil taking time for wm to work this out

seriously. someone from the company please just reply with an answer to the following multiple choice (i am making it easy for you…)

when will you be updating the firmware so that it is compatible:

1. this year

2. next year

3. at some point in the future, most likely when we have all travelled to a different planet

how would you self rate your customer and product support service

1. terrible

2. rubbish

3. i would rather by bummed by an elephant

1 Like

mehinger wrote:

…

Something strange: When I look at users (Basic mode), WD_Backup (Time Machine User) seems to be diabled – there is a red cross beside it.

Any suggestions (besides waiting for a new Firmware update)?

/Magnus

Hello Magnus

I think the red cross means you can delete the user. I doesn´t mean it´s disabled. However it´s still strange because my WD_Backup user doesnt have the red cross, and it was already created as a system user user when i got the MBW. Same as admin. So if you have a red cross, maybe ut´s because you created that account?

Frosty

All I want for Christmas is new firmware that will make my MBWEII actually function once again.

Like many others using Lion 10.7.2 I’ve just upgraded to 1.02.12… I did not update to 1.02.10 after reading all of the issues, but did it for 1.02.12 thinking that WD would have addressed all previous problems. Not so, i’m getting also the “Somthing wrong with the volume’s CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead. Check server messages for details!”

1- takes very long time to “log in” via web or Finder compared to 1.02.06. Why?

2- diabled Mionet since some users have reported that it could be one of the cause

3- rebuilt the TwonkyMedia server database

for 2 & 3 above, I don’t see why this would impact the above error message.

Also, I am NOT using my drive for TimeMachine…

Please help?

BBBBBrandon,

I have same problem described above - CNIDs not working, then AFP not registered (sorry for lack of precise wording, I’m not au fait with this kind of thing).

Your last post said you thought you knew what the issue was - and hinted at a solution.  I can’t find the solution you came up with.  Could you re-post?

Thanks

Andy

So, this is basically it?

We have (again) lots and lots of pages with people posting a mix of success or failure stories. As far as I remember, many of the issues couldn’t be resolved or even narrowed down to a specific source.

My problem is, I’m no pro with anything related to IT. Hence, I don’t understand half of the “just enter this and that into the terminal”-instructions or have half a clue what’s so dramatically difficult when switching from one network protocoll to another.

I’m just a consumer trying to use his less than a year old product (MBWII) with his less than a year old computer (iMac on Lion).

After what I’ve read here about the several firmware releases, I’m not convinced that upgrading my MBWII to 1.02.12 is actually such a good idea, because it feels like I’m risking the back-ups of our household’s other Mac (still on Snow Leo) in the process.

Sure, these are only back-ups and as such only copies of the actual data on this computer. Still, I can’t shake the impression that I shouldn’t be put into a position to even have to do deal with these kinds of decisions. After all, I opted to buy a NAS instead of an USB drive, because I wanted to create a care free easy to use back-up solution.

To finally reach the point of posting a question: is there any chance we will get an upgrade to the firmware, which I can install without having to worry about the possible consequences? (I know there’s always some kind of “residual risk”. Nothing’s a 110% guaranteed).

Or, if there isn’t a sure fire way to keep the data on the drive safe, would it help to ditch the current back-ups and re-format the drive after the upgrade? Switching to a different raid mode (like no-raid mode at all)? Anything? After all’s said and done, I just want to have a reliably working back-up drive. Is there any chance to get there in a mixed Lion / Snow Leo environment with the MBWII or should I just give up on that notion?

Clearly, the silent treatment isn’t helping. At this point we must assume WD is unable to fix the MBWEII or unwilling to make it a priority. Leading up to the latest firmware, this board had WD employees actively conversing with us. Not all customers were kind due to their justified frustration, but at least we had some updates. Now, nothing.

And this problem is not just relegated to time machine or lion. The latest firmware has essentially bricked my NAS because my ps3 can’t even stream from it with any dependability. This firmware has made this $200 investment virtually useless.
Maybe it is really just a chipset issue on the MBWEII. Maybe there is no solution. After all, this has lingered since lion was released!

My MBW1 white has been on for 51 days so far without a problem, but as I said in an early part of this thread and other posts the unit use to crash on long up loads from one computer but the other one was ok this has 1gb network port the other one had 100mb port now bothare the same at 1gb. I have this streaming to LG media player with no problems that includes hd video files. I do not use the back as I prefere to use usb drives for that. The two main systems are windows 7 there xp and linux on the network and everthing seems to be happy. So far it looks like a time machine/lion problem.

Ps I have tried my xbox and ps3 and both can see and play from MBW1.

I have windows machines on my network and a ps3 as well.
The problem is not just limited to Mac/lion at least for me.
Never had these issues prior to my upgrade to .10 an .12 firmware.

I have just updated the firmware to 01.02.12 on my MBW I network drive after experiencing continued lost connections and very slow responses.  I am still finding that it is taking an excessively long time to be able to access and login to the drive via WD Discovery software or even directly by inputing the drive’s IP address into a browser.

I was hoping to use the drive on the local home network to backup photos from the various family cameras and phones, but find I can not rely on it being available when needed.  I’m now regretting not the money I spent towards a more expensive option.

Hi, I had read all the comments and as I go t a new WD MB Ed.II with Firmware 01.02.06 on my question is “why should I upgrade to 01.02.12” ??

The only time I find the MBW1 slow is from waking up, after there is no problem. I do not use the WD Discovery at all transfers are done windows explorer or firefox for login the only problem I have is the torrent software, but I can live with that for the time being.

I can’t even stream music. DLNA errors all the time.
I want a new NAS.

Can I also connect to the WD_Backup share from Finder → Go → Connect to server? I have many problems since I installed the last firmware version and I really need the Time Machine functionality. In the beginning both my normal and my WD_backup share disconnected automatically after a few minutes and now my WD_share is totally gone… By connecting to the data share from Finder → Go → Connect to server → IP address I now have a stable connection. Which IP address / server address I have to use to connect to the WD-Backup share?

Thanks.

I hear you all, had a wonderful experience with my 6 TB WD mybookworld before the new firmware.

After I’ve had trouble with transefer speeds, sometimes as low as 100kb/s when I had 35 mb/s before…

Also very often I’m having trouble accessing my drive… found that removing the Sleep function cured that but today I had 3 error messages when logging into the drive about HDD SMART not working and the drives being to warm… intressting that you can turn of a function but then have a product that dosen’t support you turning it off…

I’ve turned it back on since I don’t want to brick my drive and I hope it works as advertised… otherwise it’s going to be a recall from me or WD perhaps can rush out and new frimware update? Anything is better than nothing…

So, another month has passed and nothing new in terms of firmware has been released.

Since I’m still reluctant to try the 1.02.12 version due to the problems reported here, I decided to reactivate the AFP on my Mac OS Lion. I’m not really happy with this, because I had to mess around with the terminal, but at least I can log on as a registered user with Finder again.

Time Machine still doesn’t work, though. I’m still getting an error message that AFP doesn’t support the necessary functions (or something similar).

Either way, this is the point where I stop caring.

My other MAC with Snow Leopard can still do its Back-up on the MBWII and for the machine with Lion I’ll just stick to my USB drive, which I had to use for the last 3 to 6 months, anyway (I don’t even know when this whole mess started, because it’s so far in the past now).

I do realise it was partly my fault to try and go the cheap way for a NAS. I’ve learned from this and will not try my luck with a WD NAS again. I might still be buying WD USB drives etc., but I’m done with anything more sophisticated produced by WD.

So long and thanks for - ehm - at least trying.

Hi,

I have also updated to1.02.12.

After updating I keep loosing connection to the NAS. It’s completely useless.

I managed to downgrade to 1.02.05 and now it works again.

I have not heard anything from WD support in 2 weeks. Thanks to a post in this forum I got it working again. But only by downgrading.

This is for sure the last time I buy a WD. Crappy support. :angry: