New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

I cannot connect using any user credentials - except one - from any computer on the network (there are 3 users set up) - using the Finder in both SL and Lion.

No problem logging on to the WEII via the browser for any user on any machine on the same network.

WD should remove the compatibility with lion icon from the WB II white light devices. Bottom line there are way to many issues.

i have a question:

when updating the firmware, will the contents of mybook be erased? how do i go about doing the update please in a way that will not do anything to the data on the drive?

this is obviously very important because since installing Lion i have not been able to reach my time machine backup that is on my wolrd book.

thanks 

amir

I have updated my Book World (white ring) and cannot login with ssh anymore. Tried everything even reset to factory. The SSH is ticked in advanced settings.

I tried to manualy install ssh with some firmware update tricks but none of these seems to work.

My white light 2Tb was bricked from after this firmware update. RMA replacement is here already and up and running. Looks to be a refurb, and it’s running very old firmware that I WILL NOT update. This is my second replacement drive. WD has been great about warranty replacements, but I’d much rather have never needed to find that out.

Hello everyone,
I really hope that the stuff of WD is working to reduce access times to my MyBookWorld.
I have a suspicion regarding this warning:  

MyBookWorld daemon.warn afpd[4941]: volume “WD_Backup” does not support Extended Attributes, using ea:ad instead.

I use Time Machine to backup for my Mac with Snow Leopard.

Someone can explain? 

Thank you. 

:smileyvery-happy:  I posted a negative remark on Amazon regarding my troubles with the My Book World Edition II and was surprised to see WD had responded to it after about a month stating that the new firmware update had resolved my issue with the drive randomly disconnecting from my network and the only remedy being to hard restart the unit.  I’ve been successfully connected since yesterday afternoon when installed the update.  Thanks WD.  I’m so happy you resolved this. Better late than never.

Hi,

first of all, my english is bad, sorry for that :slight_smile:

But…

Im wondering about the bugs in this version of your firmware.  If you made a good job, you have to delete the old CNID Database, then no errors occure in os x lion. 

But, after i installed your version, i got CNIDDB Errors while loggin in to my share with os x lion.

So Ii have to made a manual update !!!  of the netatalk package an then, i have no mistakes in os x. Thats a poor job, sorry, your versions are slow, buggy and your  reaction of the lion update takes about many weeks. Thats not a good job for a great manufacturer of hardware!

When i get a update thats works 100 % for me and my os x lion?

Sometimes i think i have to buy a nas from another manufacturer, so i didnt’t have this troubles, but i think, everyone have to get a second chance.

Thanks for reading my message.

Hello everyone,
several days is that I read the posts of this community to see if WD is working on a firmware better than the last run;
for me (Snow Leopard) I have problems with access to the NAS for a long time and access shared folders using FTP, this after repairing the disk with Time Machine.
The repair was necessary because the backup was unsuccessful. Now at least this has been solved!

Add another question and is as follows: If the NAS to restore factory defaults, you restore the old firmware or not?

Thanks to those who want to pre-answer and I apologize for the language: I write from Italy and translate with google!

I’ve updated to the newest firmware. But now my MyBook is extremely slow. A 4gb file takes an hour to transfer :angry: . What can i do? Its unuseable now.

EDIT: Nevermind, computer was on wireless, ethernet cable seems to fix te problem

With the latest update my MBW II disconnects from the network within 2 hours after a hard restart. With the firmware before, I did not have this issue. 

I honestly can’t stand this product!!

Have WD staff gone postal on each other’s [Deleted] from the stress? Not a peep. Not a feedback, plan of action or offer of assistance for anybody’s problems. Wow.

I can understand establishing and even relying on a forum of advocate users helping newbs and whatnot, but is there one single happy, unaffected OR knowledgeble user reading this forum that has answers? Someone that has all features working flawlessly on their own network?

*crickets* 

*tumbleweeds*

dreamtime wrote:

Have WD staff gone postal on each other’s [Deleted] from the stress? Not a peep. Not a feedback, plan of action or offer of assistance for anybody’s problems. Wow.

I can understand establishing and even relying on a forum of advocate users helping newbs and whatnot, but is there one single happy, unaffected OR knowledgeble user reading this forum that has answers? Someone that has all features working flawlessly on their own network?

*crickets* 

*tumbleweeds*

Wait for it…

Well, at least I know they are around… but honestly, you deleted THAT…? Really? Slow news day.

What do you mean by that? o.o

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

What do you mean by that? o.o

Not meant for you PizzaMatrix. Sorry for your confusion. :slight_smile:

updated to 01.02.12 now twonky doesn’s seem to work, is WD doing something about this?

Still having some issues connecting with osx. Samba based shares do not work, I tried running scp but connectivity to the box is lost midway through. I’m also using a boxee box to stream media - this ALSO frequently cuts out. We need a new firmware which will resolve these issues. I’ve even looked in dmesg and syslog; no errors to be found. This is very distinctly an issue with the firmware as I have mybook world edition 1 series which I’ve not updated, the uptime on this is over a year and I’ve never had issues with the networking.

Get it fixed ASAP. FYI firmware on mybook is 1.02.12, mac is running osx 10.6.8. Boxxe is boxee box with latest firmware. My mac is using wifi and the boxee is wired, everything is plugged into the same which which is connected to a cisco router.

No one seems to know why WD is not responding with any updates. I can only assume the know how angry everyone is becoming. This has been going on for months. MONTHS. Apple set the whole thing off by changing their specs with Lion. Then WD issued firmware 10 which was useless. Then we got 12 and nothing has changed.
I can’t even sell my MBWEII now. Who would want it?

I wasn’t aware it was that bad! I updated to 1.02.11 which messed stuff up and then did another upgrade assuming it had been fixed, wasn’t aware they we’re neglecting customers to that degree.

My advice to ALL users, if these guys aren’t pulling their weight: Contact BBB (better business bureau) and make them aware. If you think they’re liable and want to take these guys to court, start off with a small claims court. Given the cost to actually going to court, most of these businesses settle out of court anyway. Not that you’d ever lose, their product is inneficient and they’re neglecting to support or update it, can’t see how any jury in their right mind would side with them (or how any business would have the balls to defend themselves).

Details on the BBB  here

If this post is mysteriously deleted or removed it’s proof they’re aware of the issues and are avoiding responsibility, they’re just out to protect their necks, it getting removed is further proof that they’re liable.