New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

Ok, I’ve installed 1.02.12 and TM still doesn’t work.

I’ve trided it both ways:

1. While trying to backup onto a special share I’ve got “The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)” error.

2. While trying to backup onto a sparsebundle placed in Public shared folder I’ve got “The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)”

BTW, can somebody tell me what should be in /DataVolume/.timemachine/ ? On my NAS it’s clean, like that:

/DataVolume/Public # ls -la /DataVolume/.timemachine/
drwxr-xr-x 2 WD_Backu root 6 Oct 23 12:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 101 Jan 17 2011 …
/DataVolume/Public #

Is it OK or I’ve deleted something useful?

what a great update!

old twonky version, itunes server not working, i would buy a western digital every time again!!!

mehinger wrote:

I can’t connect to my MBW 4TB (white lights) via my router. I’ve updated to Firmware version 1.02.12, no problem, but  I can’t use Time Machine the way I want to.

If I connect the MBW directly to my computer (Lion 10.7.2), it shows up all right via Bonjour, and I can use Time Machine. If I connect it to my router (Thomson TG784), I’m unable to use Bonjour. I can connect to it using the IP number (and I can change the unit’s settings), but I still can’t use Time Machine. 

Also, I cannot connect to the unit via the router on my other Mac (running Snow Leopard 10.6.8). 

Someone on this thread suggested turning HDD standby off, which I did, but it doesn’t help. Someone else suggesting turning Twonky server off, however I can’t figure out how to do so.

I have SSH access disabled, as well as MioNet. 

Something strange: When I look at users (Basic mode), WD_Backup (Time Machine User) seems to be diabled – there is a red cross beside it.

Any suggestions (besides waiting for a new Firmware update)?

/Magnus

Here’s another clue to what might be wrong with the firmware: I am able to connect to the MBW via the router, but ONLY if the computer is connected via ethernet to the router. Wireless connection fails. 

To sum it up:

• Connect the computer to the router with a cable – Time Machine works fine.
  • Connect the computer to the router wirelessly – The MBW is not visible on the network.

Anyone else can confirm this?

This firmware clearly has some issues - but there are several of us on here who for whom TM is working well over wireless,  so while we wait for a new firmware I’d continue tweaking settings on MBW and OsX (and post some logs) to find out why it works on some systems, and not others.

With some detailed MBW and Console logs the WD staff reading this (you are there, aren’t you?!) could maybe work out what is going wrong - I know from experience it’s impossible to help anyone based on a description of the problem.

In case anyone missed my earlier post, here’s what fixed all the problems for me - no idea which steps actually helped!

Os X

1. Complete permissions repair from recovery disk, NOT within a normal session.

2. Run Keychain First Aid (in Keychain access menu

NAS:

1. Disable HDD standby

2. Changed password for user wd_backup

3. Corrected NAS time setting

I’m also using a static IP, no NTP service, ftp & afp enabled, ssh disabled, nfs enabled with an “*” (wildcard) in the “IP allowed” field. 

Good luck!

1 Like

Jazzwhistle wrote:

[—]

I’m also using a static IP

[—]

Thanks a lot, I think this is what finally made it! :slight_smile:

I had tried it before, but it is important to also set the router to always use the same IP address for the MBW. So, now the router is set to always use 192.168.1.68 for the MBW, and the MBW is set to use 192.168.1.68 as well (Basic Mode > Network > Network Mode: Static).

Now I’m just waiting for the indexing to finish and backup of ~150 GB to begin… :wink:

How long should this update take? Was upgrading from 1.02.10

Started about 30mins ago and sill no access to web ui and drive.

I can find the drive using WD Discovery,.,…

Not sure if I should reboot it or not… *worried*

Ended up pulling the plug after 45mins…

Drive is up and and I can use it but FW still 1.02.10 , not sure what happened…

Not sur eif I should try again, but getting really ticked off now!

I think this DD with the original firmware is bad ! So now it’s very hard to make some evolution… Bad soft team by WD !!

Hi everyone. Brand new to this board.

I upgraded the new firmware today

01.02.12 with MioNet 4.3.1.13

and this is what i have in my status.

MBW appears in Finder, but no folders are visible for access. The data on the drive is only file sharing stuff (pictures, music and backups).

I can’t access anything and we have heaps of really important stuff on the drive.

Can someone help a complete n00b out, fixing this thing or maybe just recovering the data? Or ‘finding’ the volume?

thanks, yr help is greatly appreciated.

When the WD is a sleeping mode the WD isn’t in the finder anymore. I need to reboot my routeur to wake up the WD and the WD is in my finder again !

Where is the problem ? WD or Mac OS X ? So no problem with 1.02.06 !

Hi Kimmyjus, that looks like a more serious problem than most people have on this thread… can you post a pic of your “advanced mode” > “Storage” and “Disk Manager” screens?

Upgraded from .06 at the weekend.  Process was smooth without any problems and have had uninterrupted access since then.

Took a while to get it but works perfectly for me!  Thanks

updated to this latest firmware and what a bad move. Now I have the same problem I had before the 1.02.06 firmware, have to reboot at least 3-4 times a day!!

WD your products stink!!

Jazzwhistle wrote:

Hi Kimmyjus, that looks like a more serious problem than most people have on this thread… can you post a pic of your “advanced mode” > “Storage” and “Disk Manager” screens?

hi Jazz. thanks for replying to my post. I would send you pics of the screens, but Safari can now no longer find the server. It was finding it on bonjour fine yesterday…

As soon as I can get those screenshots, I’ll post them.

Jazzwhistle wrote:

Hey Jazzwhistle,

Accessed! :slight_smile: I really do appreciate you checking this out for me.

Just clutching at straws here but my router IP is 192.168.0.5 and my MBW IP is 192.168.0.3

will this matter at all?

In response to my earler post about the MBWE Locking up and responding to a ping using the latest firmware, I can now report that it is Twonky Media Server causing all my problems.  Once I had deleted twonky (which I don’t use) using ssh the device now stays up and running.

I’m not impressed with WD at the moment.

Hi,

I’ve just updated my “mybookword” edition to the latest firmware (10/19/2011) and I still can’t use time machine ! Anybody tried and successed ? Any suggestion ?

Thank you

Hi Kimmyjus,

That’s got to be good news that the HD appears OK in those settings - but the big error “DataVolume does not exist” probably means you’ve got a problem that only WD can fix :frowning: Unless there’s someone else on this board willing to lend their expertise?

Can you access your data using afp://192.168.0.3/yoursharenamegoeshere in the Finder  “Go” > “Connect to Server” menu? I presume you’ve already rebooted the MBW… This shouldn’t make any difference, but do you see the same problem when you access the MBW admin using simply http://192.168.0.3?

EDIT: I’ve just noticed the date/time of your screen shot says 25/10 but it looks like you posted on the 24th…  unless you are at GMT+10?!  Do check the time settings are correct as this can cause all sorts of problems.

Jazzwhistle wrote:

Hi Kimmyjus,

That’s got to be good news that the HD appears OK in those settings - but the big error “DataVolume does not exist” probably means you’ve got a problem that only WD can fix :frowning: Unless there’s someone else on this board willing to lend their expertise?

Can you access your data using afp://192.168.0.3/yoursharenamegoeshere in the Finder  “Go” > “Connect to Server” menu? I presume you’ve already rebooted the MBW… This shouldn’t make any difference, but do you see the same problem when you access the MBW admin using simply http://192.168.0.3?

EDIT: I’ve just noticed the date/time of your screen shot says 25/10 but it looks like you posted on the 24th…  unless you are at GMT+10?!  Do check the time settings are correct as this can cause all sorts of problems.

we are at GMT+10! :smiley: Brisbane, Australia.

I’ll try thiis out and let you know.