New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

morphy wrote:

My box has been running for 36 hours so far ok. As I said in one off my other post about the previous post is with version before I disabled twonkey and nominet as explained in this forum see below. This cured my original problems

but when I installed 1.02.10 and 12 twonky is up and running and so far all has been ok. YOU TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Or search though the posts for the one about freezing up I think It is by hurtware. Good luck M

In the web configuration switch to Advanced Mode, then on the System tab using the Advanced button check the SSH Access checkbox on the top of the page, then Submit.
Using Putty or any other SSH client connect to your NAS’s IP address, and log in using “root” as username, and “welc0me” as password!
Now you are inside your NAS.
Type the following on the prompt (this will move/save the startup scripts to the /root/ folder and disable running of mionet and twonky main program and miocrawler it is unnecessary):
mv /etc/init.d/S9M_mionet /root/
mv /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver /root/
mv /usr/mionet/bin/cvm /root/
mv /usr/mionet/changeNotifySocket /root/
mv /usr/mionet/plugin/miocrawler/miocrawler /root/
then reboot your NAS with
reboot
Disable all other unused services in the web configuration to free up some more RAM and make your NAS more stable.

You do realize that .12 is out right?

@krazydan

I am also experiencing EXTREME slowdowns even using Finder. On my MacBook Pro (running Lion) the logon to mount the drive used to take <1 second (pre 1.02.12 update), now it takes 30+ seconds to mount. Open a folder = another minute or longer just to view the directory. Good news is that my login under Lion seems to work, but the drive performance is basically unusable at this point.

BBBBBrandon wrote:

Umpa2011 wrote:

I updated, then did a full system restore as there were no files that i needed on this nas.  Re-set it all up.  Lasted 12 hours and now it has locked up. Can’t ssh, can’t get to web admin BUT can ping it from terminal. why ?

Did you enable SSH access in the web UI previously?  Can you even access the web ui at this point?

Hi after a reboot all is fine, after a few hour (like this morning) the unit has locked up.  My other MBWE’s that are not on the new firmware are fine. SSH is enabled but not working after lockup.  After lockup I cannot access the device ar all, except for ping.

I’m just wondering about the file size of the new firmware update.  I currently have no internet at home due to changing ISPs so I only have my phone data.  I downloaded the firmware installer which mentions about downloading modules for the firmware.  Anyone know how big the firmware upgrade ends up being?

I just don’t want to start the process and then realise the download is too big, thereby forcing me to cancel the ungrade midway, potentially corrupting my NAS.

Any info would be great.  Even an estimate.

Thanks.

The update for me had had 2 effects.

1. Much longer to login (both Lion and SL)

2. Only one of my users can login using Finder (both Lion and SL). All others fail to connect over the network using Finder even though I have deleted them all and recreated them.  I can login fine in the browser using all users credentials.

*groan*

Ideas?

Hope, again  :-)

After three reboots of My Book World1 TimeMachine is running (after nearly 3 months it took the whole night to backup).

Mounting NAS via Finder takes more than one minute (when TimeMachine is running).

Mounting NAS via Finder takes about 30 seconds when TimeMachine is not running.

I’m on Lion and SnowLeoapard and 1.02.12

SnowLeopard Mac needs even more than 2 minutes to mount NAS with Finder (when TimeMachine is running)

and about 30 seconds when TM is not running.

It has been a few seconds on 1.02.06 !!!

I think, you WD should do some touching up on the firmware.

But I’m glad to use TimeMachine again :slight_smile:

I am running 1.02.12

I can’t connect to my MBW 4TB (white lights) via my router. I’ve updated to Firmware version 1.02.12, no problem, but  I can’t use Time Machine the way I want to.

If I connect the MBW directly to my computer (Lion 10.7.2), it shows up all right via Bonjour, and I can use Time Machine. If I connect it to my router (Thomson TG784), I’m unable to use Bonjour. I can connect to it using the IP number (and I can change the unit’s settings), but I still can’t use Time Machine. 

Also, I cannot connect to the unit via the router on my other Mac (running Snow Leopard 10.6.8). 

Someone on this thread suggested turning HDD standby off, which I did, but it doesn’t help. Someone else suggesting turning Twonky server off, however I can’t figure out how to do so.

I have SSH access disabled, as well as MioNet. 

Something strange: When I look at users (Basic mode), WD_Backup (Time Machine User) seems to be diabled – there is a red cross beside it.

Any suggestions (besides waiting for a new Firmware update)?

/Magnus

I’ve updated to the latest firmware (1.02.12) and have to report the upgrade went smoothly for me on the 2 WD Mybook WE drives I have (WE I and WE II).

I do however have 2 issues with the latest firmware update:

1. After rebooting the drive it appears that the twonky media server does not rebuild its database. In order to get  TM to display the stored files I now seem to have to do a manual rebuild of the database. 
    This is done from the maintenance menu after going to the twonky config page (http://:9000/config) 
  2. Connecting the the shared drives seems to take a very long time from OSX; connection from windows seems to be fine. Once connected all seems to work fine. This includes the use of Time Machine from the mac - long connection time, but fine once connected.
    The connection times from the mac is in the order of 45 second.

For me these latest issues are no more than a minor annoyance - as long as I’m able to store and access my data and media files I’m happy.

Hello,

With this firmware MBW doesn’t appear on my MacBookPro ! With 1.02.06 no problem ! Really it’s the last time I will buy a DD from WD ! [Deleted]

WOW! Am I the only one that had the upgrade to .12 go smoothly?

Went thru the automatic upgrade process…took 10-20 minutes.

Maybe it’s because I use  NO  features except file sharing.

At this point, it’s been about 30 min since upgrading. No probs yet.

The big test will be when I pull my laptop, go on site and come back - that’s what tanked the drive under .10

Will keep you advised.

Having very much the same problem as Umpa2011.

Upgrade to 1.02.12 was completed on first try. 

But since then the drive has frozen just like on the 10 release. I only use the drive for file share and nothing else. After it has frozen you cannot see it in the network divices, no mapped shares work, Web UI does not load to see config but you can ping the drive 100%.

I only have Vista and Windows 7 connecting to the drive and mostly from the Vista laptop. 

Dont know how to solve… Any suguestions welcome… Maybe someone from WD would like to connect to my system and run a few test when this happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIqtZraOxDU (This is the showing of the device that can reply with a ping but not be accessed.)

1 Like

I mentioned earlier about the no ago shares when trying to back up to Timemachine. Left it connected via Ethernet last night. Dunno what changed but it’s sorted. Backup done. Cheers WD, this seems alright so far now. That was my only niggle.

Unfortunately it is not working for me. I just received a replacement drive due to the previous bad firmware. I installed the new drive and updated it to the latest 1.02.12 through the web configuration page using auto update. Time machine worked for about 3 hours when the drive disappeared. I was still able to log in to the drive through the web interface. This was the same symptom I had with the previous firmware. I restarted the drive through the web interface. This time, it did not solve anything. Time machine can see the drive, but when it starts to back up it says “looking for back up drive” for a few minutes. Then, a windows comes up showing the backup file in the drive and then I get an error message: the backup disk image “/volumes/WD_Backup/Matias’s macbook pro.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

Here is an image:

Ok, I’ve installed 1.02.12 and TM still doesn’t work.

I’ve trided it both ways:

1. While trying to backup onto a special share I’ve got “The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)” error.

2. While trying to backup onto a sparsebundle placed in Public shared folder I’ve got “The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)”

BTW, can somebody tell me what should be in /DataVolume/.timemachine/ ? On my NAS it’s clean, like that:

/DataVolume/Public # ls -la /DataVolume/.timemachine/
drwxr-xr-x 2 WD_Backu root 6 Oct 23 12:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 101 Jan 17 2011 …
/DataVolume/Public #

Is it OK or I’ve deleted something useful?

what a great update!

old twonky version, itunes server not working, i would buy a western digital every time again!!!

mehinger wrote:

I can’t connect to my MBW 4TB (white lights) via my router. I’ve updated to Firmware version 1.02.12, no problem, but  I can’t use Time Machine the way I want to.

If I connect the MBW directly to my computer (Lion 10.7.2), it shows up all right via Bonjour, and I can use Time Machine. If I connect it to my router (Thomson TG784), I’m unable to use Bonjour. I can connect to it using the IP number (and I can change the unit’s settings), but I still can’t use Time Machine. 

Also, I cannot connect to the unit via the router on my other Mac (running Snow Leopard 10.6.8). 

Someone on this thread suggested turning HDD standby off, which I did, but it doesn’t help. Someone else suggesting turning Twonky server off, however I can’t figure out how to do so.

I have SSH access disabled, as well as MioNet. 

Something strange: When I look at users (Basic mode), WD_Backup (Time Machine User) seems to be diabled – there is a red cross beside it.

Any suggestions (besides waiting for a new Firmware update)?

/Magnus

Here’s another clue to what might be wrong with the firmware: I am able to connect to the MBW via the router, but ONLY if the computer is connected via ethernet to the router. Wireless connection fails. 

To sum it up:

• Connect the computer to the router with a cable – Time Machine works fine.
  • Connect the computer to the router wirelessly – The MBW is not visible on the network.

Anyone else can confirm this?

This firmware clearly has some issues - but there are several of us on here who for whom TM is working well over wireless,  so while we wait for a new firmware I’d continue tweaking settings on MBW and OsX (and post some logs) to find out why it works on some systems, and not others.

With some detailed MBW and Console logs the WD staff reading this (you are there, aren’t you?!) could maybe work out what is going wrong - I know from experience it’s impossible to help anyone based on a description of the problem.

In case anyone missed my earlier post, here’s what fixed all the problems for me - no idea which steps actually helped!

Os X

1. Complete permissions repair from recovery disk, NOT within a normal session.

2. Run Keychain First Aid (in Keychain access menu

NAS:

1. Disable HDD standby

2. Changed password for user wd_backup

3. Corrected NAS time setting

I’m also using a static IP, no NTP service, ftp & afp enabled, ssh disabled, nfs enabled with an “*” (wildcard) in the “IP allowed” field. 

Good luck!

1 Like

Jazzwhistle wrote:

[—]

I’m also using a static IP

[—]

Thanks a lot, I think this is what finally made it! :slight_smile:

I had tried it before, but it is important to also set the router to always use the same IP address for the MBW. So, now the router is set to always use 192.168.1.68 for the MBW, and the MBW is set to use 192.168.1.68 as well (Basic Mode > Network > Network Mode: Static).

Now I’m just waiting for the indexing to finish and backup of ~150 GB to begin… :wink:

How long should this update take? Was upgrading from 1.02.10

Started about 30mins ago and sill no access to web ui and drive.

I can find the drive using WD Discovery,.,…

Not sure if I should reboot it or not… *worried*