MyWorldBook II replacement drive

One of the drives has failed on my MyWorldBook II.

The failed drive is a Western Digital WD20EADS 2Tb, now discontinued, So will it be OK to substitute the current WD20EZRX? Will the RAID rebuild OK with the newer drive?

Any advice much appreciated.

Hello,

Check online to see if you can find the same unit since the firmware on the drive need to be the same to make sure that the RAID will be rebuilt.

Managed to find the correct drive on ebay. Remirroring went fine, but today the NAS won’t fire up. The bottom LED lights for around 30 seconds, then the device powers off.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have seen this happen when the MBWE has been disconnected from the power supply and is reconnected. I assume that this would also be true if the power supply itself had been shut off by a power strip, etc. Turning it on with the power button has gotten it to boot up fully for me. If this is not your situation, the only other thing I could suggest is press the recessed Reset button on the back of the unit while the light is on. This should cause the unit to reboot. This will reset the username/password to admin/admin, but will not affect your data.

I’ve tried what you’ve suggested, but the thing still won’t boot up.

I’ve replaced the box with a cheap D-Link Share-Center, which seems to be doing the job pretty well. Fortunately I only use the NAS as backup for my network, so haven’t lost any data.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry it didn’t work out. It was a shot in the dark. Hope you find the answer.