MyBookWorld Windows 8.1

Since I updated my HP Desktop to Windows 8.1 my MyBookWorld locks up and the only way the drive can be accessed is with a power reboot.  After I access the unit I view the CIFS log I see multiple errors listed below, the IP address is the Windows 8.1 computer

2013/11/21 13:02:31  read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 192.168.1.111. Error = Connection reset by peer
2013/11/21 13:02:21 read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 192.168.1.111. Error = Connection reset by peer
2013/11/21 13:02:10  read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 192.168.1.111. Error = Connection reset by peer

The drive works with all other computer on my home network as long as I leave the computer with windows 8.1 powered off.  Windows 8.0 seemed to work fine.  I spoke to Microsoft today but they seemed to think it is WD’s problem.

Hi daker, I reported your issue. I will let you know of any updates. Other community members are also free to participate and share some suggestions.

I am having problems as well.

However I can´t even get my computer to recognize the unit.

While using Windows 8.0 I was using WD Link and Mionet, working just fine. Now I ca´t even detect the external drive.

Can any one help? Has WD released a patch or updated version?

Thanks!

Also problems over here.

I only can access by rebooting modem and/or rebooting MyBookWorld and/or plug in the ethernet cable in an other port. But it seems always to be a lucky shot…

I already updated firmware (version 2012).

Hello friends,

I experience the same problem since I updated to windows 8.1 last week.

Did you find a solution ? Is there something to update in mybookworld or a parameter to change ? Is there something to change in windows 8.1 ??

It’s a nightmare, as it disconnects all the NAS as soon as I put that windows 8.1 PC connected on the home network…

thanks a milion for your help

Exactly the same problem here. Prior to Windows 8.1, used WD link (over wifi) would find (MWBEii) and could access without any problems.

I have three media players connect to it (via LAN) all three find it no problem. 

If i try turn on my PC on now and try use WD link, the (MWBE) seems to brick up and not even the media players can see it. Only way to fix it is through a physcial reset via the back button.

i hope a remedy to this is found, and there after instructions are given as to how to actually get the PC to recognise the MWBE to update the software.

We all need a reply please !!!

It’s a shame, there’s no one from WD in this forum ??? 

Do you really think I’m going to buy again a WD Hard Disk Drive seeing you do not maintain your drive after puting them on the market, do not answer in the forum ???

The WD Community was created for Users -such as yourself- to help one another and to share your experiences and ideas with one another.  As Moderators, we are simply here to facilitate and oversee the Community. If you have a question or issue related to the WD Community itself, us Moderators will be happy to respond and assist you. However, if you are looking for technical support from WD, you will need to contact them directly.

To Contact WD for Technical Support:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Here’s the answer of the technical support :

[Deleted]

"
Hello [Deleted],

I bought 3 My book world digital edition II 3 years ago for a total price of 1.000 Euros (1360 USD).
I bought Western Digital because a NAS is supposed to last more than 3 years, and western digital big enough to release compatible Firmware for Windows Updates.

Do you answer this to the hundreds of customers who bought those drives ?
A lack a testing and firmware updates ???
Do you really think I’m going to buy again a WD Hard Disk Drive seeing you do not maintain your drive after puting them on the market ???

I would appreciate you give me visibility : is a new firmware being studied or developed ? or do I have to put in the trash my 3 NAS ??
My new PC is provided with Windows 8.1, and cannot be downgrade to windows 7, because of HP that do not provide drivers for windows 7.

I would really appreciate more information.

Best regards,"

I let every User make is opinion.

For me this is the last time ever I will buy WD products, seeing such an aswer. You do not care your customers, I will let this be known around the web. First time ever I see that. Logitech or Seagate do never react like that. Shame on WD and I’m sad to write that.

I to have given up on any future Western Digital products.  I have used WD hard drives since the beginning of PC days and have always been very satisfied until my recent 2 purchases.  As I stated in the post that started this feed, the MyBookWorld worked until I upgraded to Windows 8.1 from 8.0.  The MyBookWorld was a minor disappointment because it did work until I upgraded to Windows 8.1. 

The N900 Router is a real piece of junk.  Since I purchased it a year ago I have received two RMA’s  with the last unit sent to me being a n900c.  I was assured by the tech support person that the n900c would work better.  All three of the units constantly drop the internet connection and have to be rebooted to restore the ISP connection.  I have finally reverted to my simple Linksys which never drops the Internet connection.  I have spent way too much time and money on these two poorly designed and supported units.

Hi,

I use Netgear N900 (WNDR4500) router and WD My Book Live (3TB) with ethernet connection.

I fresh installed my notebook to Windows 8.1, previously had Windows 7 working fine.

But using these devices with Windows 8.1 was unstable, only sometimes I had access to My Book Live, which I believe to be very similar to previous descriptions. See below what I did and results achieved.

I did update N900 router (firmware V1.0.1.40_1.0.68) and My Book Live was already updated (firmware 02.43.03-022).

And I also changed or confirmed some local Windows configuration:

• My network settings (at Control Panel / Network and Internet / Sharing and Network Central / Advanced Settings) are: private network with network discovery ON, new devices automatic setup ON, files and printer sharing OFF, allow Windows to manage conections ON.

• My Windows credentials (at Control Panel / User Account / Credential Manager) related to My Book Live were erased.

(please note that those descriptions aren’t fully correct because my OS is translated, not in English anymore).

After thise steps I created a new user/password at My Book Live and restarted it.

Then access to My Book Live became normal again.

Hope it helps someone.

Regards,

Fabrício