MyBook keeps crashing when copying large files

I have a WD MyBook World Edition NAS (I believe version II). This NAS keeps crashing when copying large files (200+ MB) to it. Then I need to reset the drive (unplug it) and then it will run again. WD support can’t solve the problem. I’ve noticed that the drive crashes less when disabling the WDAnywhere Access, but I need to disable this option every time after a reset. The firmware is 01.01.18.

Do you recognize this problem? And is there a solution available? Please help me…

Joop

I am having the same problem.  I am about to return this drive back to Costco for lack of support due to this problem.

Come on WD - we need a response regarding this issue.

I am having the same problem and it has started recently. WD Support please help

Hi, I’m having the same problems for couple of days now.
I use white led 1.5TB NAS with Windows 7 32bit.

I’m using NAS for a while now and couple of days ago my NAS started to “die” when I was copying very large files to it, files like 10GB mkv movies. It would copy some data, could be 5%, 30% or 80% of the data amount and hang.
The only thing I could do is to pull the plug, NAS wouldn’t respond to 4sec-hold power button.

Some people mentioned that Win7 could be the problem so I’m writing from just-re-formetted system. No change.

Any ideas how to solve this issue?

I had the same issue when copying files using windows vista. After copying a few files too the mybook it would completely hang. A complete power off/on would be required to get it working again.  I did however find a work around for the issue. I enabled FTP on the mybook and now I’m using filezilla to transfer files to the mybook. Hasn’t hung once during the FTP transfer.

Raven wrote:

I had the same issue when copying files using windows vista. After copying a few files too the mybook it would completely hang. A complete power off/on would be required to get it working again.  I did however find a work around for the issue. I enabled FTP on the mybook and now I’m using filezilla to transfer files to the mybook. Hasn’t hung once during the FTP transfer.

Very nice! I read elsewhere that some folks connected the NAS directly to LAN port on the PC and transferred files successfully so I connected NAS to PC and it worked, 13GB file was transferred but there were moments when NAS acted like it wad dead and the data went very slowly.

I would try adding these files to your smb.conf file [probably /etc/smb.conf or /etc/samba/smb.conf]

oplocks = no

level2 oplocks = no

in addition you could also try updating your samba version to 3.5 if you havent done so already.

this shuts off “opportunistic locking” and makes samba slightly slower but more stable.

david_henryart thank you so much for that samba config information.  I’ve spent hours trying to find it.  It’s frustrating that WD is shipping product with outdated open source software.  Is there a webpage that documents how to install software on the NAS (white light)?  I’d really like to have nano and get samba updated.

I have the same problem there when copying large files! the MyBook WE white light crashes sporadically! The only way to reset the drive is to pull the plug!

Dear Western Digital: When you you expect to find a solution for this issue??

I am not an expert in modifying files in the OS of the NAS - so I won’t take this risk!

Try to disable Mionet and Twonky.

More info

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Drive-Becomes-Un-Accessible-After-short-use-II/td-p/38659

I already diabled Mionet following the instruction you mentioned.

But I don’t want to miss the Twonky. So I won’t disable it.

Let’s see what happens. Using FileZilla the FTP copying process seems to work much more reliable.

Actually it’s the job of WD to deliver real stable system - that’s what I expect of a products like the MyBook! This problem was from the beginning - but it appears sporadically and so I cannot reproduce a very special situation when it freezes.

Maybe the problem in your case is Twonky…

1. Try temporally disable the Twonky as well and test it.

2. Or try to rebuild the Twonky DB and change in Twonky setup “Rescan in Minutes”, to value 0 or -1 to disable Twonky Media from scanning your device.

And I absolutely agree with you, that this is WD problem from beginning. They should stop sell all WDMB II when they had information that the firmware is ■■■■■!

I would like to ask you, do you have this problem directly on WD MBWE II, or on USB HDD, which you have connected through WD MBWE II?

I have problem only with USB HDD NTFS with files larger than 4 GB (some restriction on FAT32 from WD), when I would like to copy them to the USB HDD.

When I connect this USB HDD to Notebook everything works fine.

Again another problem and BUG in WD firmware!

Thanks.

Twonky is on Rescan -1 anyway.

I have a MyBook Word Edition 1 GB white light - not an MBWE II.

Since I disabled Mionet the problem hasn’t appeared again. But I haven’t really stressed the drive by big file transfer actions up to now. So I will see that in the next situation when I have to copy files onto the NAS.

I don’t use a USB HDD connected to the MyBook at the moment. I haven’t even tried this yet. One day It might be necessary and then I hope that it will work.

I think the MyBook series is a quite good NAS series - but this buggy firmware make me nervous somehow. On the other side I have some other problems with my previous Iomega NAS: In the end the biggest problem was that the firmware didn’t want to update - so I returned the drive and got the MyBook.

Finally I hope that WD whill they their homework and that they improve their firmware as soon as possible.

Thank you for your assistance!

Just beat the hell out of the hard drive by constantly unplugging and plugging the hard drive…it comes with a 3 year warranty anyways right :wink:

Well, that’s right: There are three years warranty - but where’s the warranty for my data? For me the drive is not just for fun - I have stored important data on this drive! Of course, I backup the data every week. Anyway, I want the drive to be reliable! WD has a name to loose! If I want to have a buggy drive then I can also by the cheapest OEM drive I can get!

Means: I expect WD to get thing reliable!

If you check, you’ll find that at least the kernel and samba releases are from 2008.  That should tell you lots about how much development effort WDC is putting into their devices.