MyBook WE II very slow (both transfer rates and configuration utility)

Hi,

I use my MyBook WE II (White Light) since about two years and have been very happy with it.

TimeMachine somehow did not wok properly and the backup-folder grew very large (500GB). The connection between TM und MyBook was broken and I was not able to restore it so I looked for a way to get rid of the TM-folder and found this: http://wdc-de.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6014

I followed the steps and deleted the folder. Worked perfecty, I thought.

But since I did that, the MyBook seems to not work properly any more. The following happens:

• When copying files from or to the MyBook, sometimes the copying process stops

→ in Windows8 error code: “Copying was stopped because procedure shutdown() was called on the device” (or similar, it’s my translation of a german error message)

→ On Mac OSX: Copying just stops with no error message

• Transfer speed varies (from 10 KB/s to 1,5 MB/s in seconds, up and down)

• The configuration screen is very slow or does not react at all

Is there a way to restore the original configuration without losing my data? Or any other way to “repair” whatever I have done to the drive?

Thanks in advance and best wishes!

JustinCase

On the MBL there’s a SSH command list for restoring the factory settings without erasing data, but don’t know about the MBWII. I think you’ll have to erase it.