My Book World Edition II - Backup Use-Case

I am using MBWE (v1.02.14) to back up a WIN7 and MAC OS X on the same network. The WIN7 PC is using the included Memeo backup software and the MAC is using Time Machine.

Is this a valid backup use-case between the PC and MAC? I assumed so as this is described by the picture on the box.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I ask the question as I’ve been configured this way for about 1 year with no issues until:

1.) Last week I enabled the iTunes server and quickly discovered it does not work with iTunes 11.0.4. Apparently some finger pointing between Apple and WDC and will probably not get resolved.

2.) After I disabled the iTunes server Time Machine completed one backup and then failed the rest. After investigating a few options posted on the Apple and WDC forums Time Machine requested a new backup. Okay - so I had no choice at this point… (no issues with WIN7 and Memeo). Tomorrow will tell if successful.

This leads to another question:

Does MBWE properly manage disc-usage between the PC NFS share and the MAC AFS share? It’s not obvious from within MBWE software.

I am open to suggestions or opinions regarding my back-up strategy - perhaps there is an alternate to NAS, Memeo and/or Time Machine.

D

The backup plan that you have now looks fine.

With the Mac the software of choice is Time Machine. For Windows you can use the software that come with the drive or any other third party software that works with this type of drives.

Thank you for the clarification.

Does WD plan to update the firmware for MBWEII to support current and future version of iTunes? This was one of two reasons I purchased the drive.

D.

Not sure if there are plans to release updates for this drive at the moment.

You could try suggesting this on the Ideas board.

http://community.wd.com/t5/Network-Product-Ideas/idb-p/network_ideas

Make sure to verify if this has not been suggested yet.