My Book World Edition Bricked?

Hi all,

I’ve recently (last 3-6 months) had an increase in the regularity of random network disappearances of my three and a half year old 1TB World Book (white light). It’s been the usual story that seems to be very common with these drives, whereby it will behave for days, then I’ll turn on my Win7 desktop to find the drive is inaccessible, and the Anywhere backup has stopped because of it. A hard power off / on (power button at the back) will usually get it back, but could be gone again in a matter of hours.

Over the years I’ve tried static IP, disabling MioNet, changing the default time provider, turning off sleep mode, and pleading tearfully - none appear to make any difference. The only recent change was from an ADSL (Huawei / TalkTalk) router to a fibre one (Huawei / TalkTalk), but no idea how to check whether this should cause issues?

Anyway, after a recent episode of several hard power off / ons, it finally appears to be bricked. When I try to log in via browser, above the login details area is a line of text:

Warning: is_dir(): Stat failed for /DataVolume/_torrent_ (errno=5 - Input/output error) in /proto/SxM_webui/ctcs/ctcsconfig.inc on line 24

The few Google hits from this text point to uber-geeky sites talking about SSHing into the drive and changing lines of code, which is above my level of knowledge & comfort, and tbh where I lose interest. I just want a NAS that works RELIABLY to backup my PC and access media for my media player.

Any help greatly received, although I have a feeling the resolution will be me spending more money before I should need to - the drive is / was only half full…

It may have been here you seen that  WD 1TB Unable to Mount shares.

I guess we should start off with… This is only a backup of files and not your only source?

Most simply just reset the drive to factory defaults in this instance as it being so much easier.

Of course I am not suggesting that, but just what most have done. 

It seems most have just copied their data from it and reset it.

Yes, that was the forum I was referring to, detailing methods beyond my comprehension or willpower! Although I thought I read something elsewhere that implied that particular code indicated a dead drive?

Yes, NAS is used for backup, with a media player accessing those backed up files as a ‘side effect’ - seemed simpler & more efficient than copying / maintaining a second set just for it to use.

So the upshot is, yes, I can afford to lose the files if necessary.

I’ll have a go at resetting it later, although I gather there are two different resets, one which wipes data the other which doesn’t? Any advice on this would be good, as I’d like to try the latter before the former. And I’d rather not trawl through a user guide…

Also, does anyone know if the latest My Cloud suffers from similar network drop outs? I’ve read a few reviews / forums and it sounds suspiciously like it does…?

*EDIT* Just realised I initially stated my NAS is a World Edition II, when it is in fact a World Edition (only one drive).

Ok, can of worms time…

The user guide says that the reset button will only reset device name / passwords / DHCP. Full factory reset (wipe data) can only be done via Network Storage Manager, which was inaccessible due to failed login.

So I pressed the reset button and then connected directly to my PC, and found the odd message had gone and I could log in - not sure which of those actions corrected this. I then logged in to Network Storage Manager and ran a Restore Factory Default (Advance Mode / System / Restore Configuration) to wipe all data - back to square one.

Connected back to wifi router, mapped, set static IP, disabled HDD Standby, and set up / started a new backup plan in WD Anywhere Backup. So far so good.

After several hours backing up happily, I noticed loads of these messages on the NSM log (can’t remember whether it was System log or CIFS log):

2014/10/17 09:42:45  read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 192.168.1.7. Error = Connection reset by peer

and soon after it disappeared off the network. Power off / on, backup continued for several hours, then this on WDAB error log:

Error Code: 9
Time: 17/10/2014 18:49:01
File: c:\users\jos\documents\photo\2010\twins\elliot\imgp5353.jpg
Additional Info: The process cannot access the file ‘\192.168.1.2\Public\Memeo\My Documents\lastbackuptime.lbt’ because it is being used by another process.
WD Anywhere Backup was unable to back up this file due to an unknown error. This could occur because of a hardware failure on the source or destination device, or due to a loss of network connectivity.

I forget exactly what actions I took then, but it involved powering off / on, trying a reboot via NSM, and the backup keeps resuming with lots of error messages both in the backup logs and the NSM logs. So far it’s been up for about 36 hours, but the latest msgs are:

CIFS log - full of these (jsbe-pc is my PC which is running the WD Anywhere Backup):

2014/10/21 07:40:01  jsbe-pc (192.168.1.7) closed connection to service Public
 2014/10/21 07:26:41  jsbe-pc (192.168.1.7) connect to service Public initially as user nobody (uid=99, gid=1000) (pid 12352)
 2014/10/21 07:24:33  jsbe-pc (192.168.1.7) closed connection to service Public
 2014/10/21 07:24:28  jsbe-pc (192.168.1.7) connect to service Public initially as user nobody (uid=99, gid=1000) (pid 12351)
 2014/10/21 07:16:49  jsbe-pc (192.168.1.7) closed connection to service Public
 2014/10/21 07:09:05  jsbe-pc (192.168.1.7) connect to service Public initially as user nobody (uid=99, gid=1000) (pid 12271)
 2014/10/21 07:04:34  jsbe-pc (192.168.1.7) closed connection to service Public

WDAB backup log - loads of these in red:

10/21/2014 7:11:57 AM: The destination is not available - filename.iso

…and a couple of these in the WDAB error log:

Error Code: 12
Time: 21/10/2014 09:31:15
File: c:\users\jos\documents\video\tv sources\peppa pig images\peppa pig 1.iso
Additional Info: The specified network name is no longer available
WD Anywhere Backup was unable to continue with the backup because of an error detected at the backup destination.  The destination could be disconnected or not available.  WD Anywhere Backup will resume backup once the destination becomes available again.

Despite all these messages apparently indicating doom & gloom & catastrophic failure, the drive is staying up for longer than before, and the backup is continuing (albeit repeatedly stumbling on the same two huge iso files at the moment). The big question is, can I rely on it to provide a robust backup, or is it about to fail terribly and I should bite the pre-emptive bullet and buy a new NAS? And if so, MyCloud or something else? I’ve really hated every minute of this device, and desperately regret the many, many irretrievable hours it has taken from my life, so would rather not go WD again. But then everything else is significantly more expensive, and will they have similar issues? Is it the NAS or the network??

Thoughts / opinions appreciated…

Is this Windows 8.1? 

MyBookWorld Windows 8.1

No, Windows 7.