MBWE white light bricked

Hi,

If you do need the data then try the following:

The way i took my data by taking the hdd out of the case, was just because it couldnot boot, not a mionet problem. Anyhow if you cannot wait for them try it out, simple steps are required:

1)disconnect all the other drives in the desktop in order not to affect anything and connect only the wd drive on any sata port

2)boot from live usb of ubuntu

3)click on try ubuntu (installation is not needed)

4)when it boots open a terminal and write: sudo apt-get install mdadm

5)in the first prompt just say yes and enter

6)in the coloured window that appears press TAB and select OK

7)then highlight No configuration and then tab and ok

8)after mdadm installation finishes you return to the prompt

9)then run this: sudo mdadm --assemble --scan

1. on the left pane you will be able to see all the partiotions of your WD my world edition (white light) because the software raid partition will be then mounted

2. go ahead and read, copy to another drive (you may connect any external usb drive or whatever) do whatever you like to your data

This can be done for sure by connecting the WD live as a usb disk but the way above is what i tried numerous times.

If you are unfamiliar with linux maybe you should not try it ( i am a simple user too ).

If you do exaclty the steps above, you cannot do anything bad, however if you somehow make any changes to the partitioning you may end up loosing your data, so do anything with caution and at your own risk.

If you want to unbrick it but loose all the data i can explain another way.

Hope i helped a bit

1 Like