Large File Problem eg. Backup-Jobs

big thanks. after a long wait for the device to boot and making me extremely nervous it works fine again.

but what’s about the swap thing in the very first post? is that no longer neccessary?

Help a non-Unix guy with SSH.

I log in to the My Book console and select Advanced | Advanced and I see Root Access | SSH Access.  I selected Enable and clicked Submit.  The system acknowledged that the update was successful.

That was all good but I still do not know how or where to load the script.  How do I log to /etc?  Can I use Windows Notepad to create the text file?

Thanks for the help.  I’m hopeful this will keep the MBWEII from losing connection with the LAN.  Sheesh!

Try to download the program called “putty”:
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

Now You can connect to Your drive when You insert the ip address of Your MBWE in the “Host Name”-Field and select “SSH” as “Protocol”. Finish this settings with the button “Open”.

The default login user is “root” with password “welc0me”. In the password the “0” is not an uppercase letter “o”, it’s the number zero!

Be careful with this ssh login! If You do something wrong here the drive won’t work any more. Follow the steps with I described above. Good luck! ;o)

Success!

I had to do a bit of study to learn some of the basic UNIX “getting around” commands and the use of vi to edit S90smbd but it was enjoyable.  I have a lot of experience from back in MS-DOS days so taking a tour in UNIX was fun.

Back to the topic.  I removed the “nice” info, saved S90smbd, and rebooted the NAS.  Wow! The response of the NAS to directory commands, etc. is faster than I’ve ever seen it.  It’s as if the drive is local to my computer.  I haven’t run large files (backups, DVDs, et al) but if this quick response is any indicator I would say the problem is fixed.  I’m no longer hurling insults at that My Book World! :smiley:

Lars, thank you for the fix and especially for kindly showing me how to implement it. 

Is there any way I can get a step-by-step set of instructions on how to implement this fix?  I’m not a Unix person at all and need help with this. 

Hi, I am a newbie.  What is and how do you activate the SSH console? My NAS keeps freezing as stated in the discussion but I also noticed that the drive is very hot. Is it supposed to be that way? I was thinking it was overheating & shutting down. I would really appreciate any assistance you can give me on this matter. Thanks, Dot

Having the same problem and would appreciate if someone can break it down into newbie steps of how to apply this solution.

Really appreciate any help, I had a lot of family pictures on this drive that are not anywhere else, I’m very stressed about losing all those memories!

Thanks again

Is thise “nice” removal fix still working? I’m afraid that if I do this change I could do some damage to the drive.

My NAS drive is locking up several times.

Thanks,

Roberto

yes. follow my post to for the final solution.

There are a lot of posts from you mate.

Which is the final solution?

Some people say that  some fixes are not needed.

Thanks

my 2nd post on the 1st page of this topic. its dated: 03-07-2011 01:05 PM - last edited on 03-08-2011 07:19 AM. this means im @ 6 months of normal usage!!

Hello:

Thanks for the link to your post.

I have 2 My Book World Edition II NAS drives. They both are configured to use a static IP address and both are on the same workgroup.

One of them is supposed to be replaced with a newer one that I just installed yesterday.

What I am trying to do is to transfer all the information from NAS1 to NAS2.

Both are connected to a router.

I created a batch file that was basically several xcopy commands to copy all the information from NAS1 to NAS2.

As this process was going to take like 8 hours I ran the batch file yesterday at 4:00PM when everyone was logged off the NAS drives.

To my surprise this morning I found out that only a portion of the files were copied from the NAS1 to the NAS2.

After reading the system logs of the NAS1 drive I found a lot of errors.For example:

getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. (Connection reset by peer)

write_data: write failure in writing to client 192.168.10.105. Error Connection reset by peer

write_data: write failure in writing to client 192.168.10.105. Error Connection reset by peer

writing 4 bytes to client. -1. (Connection reset by peer)

write_data: write failure in writing to client 0.0.0.0. Error Connection reset by peer

getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

Someone suggested that the problem has to do with the network speed.

The suggestion was to change from “auto-negotiate” to  Full Duplex 100 on the Cisco VPN router configuration.

What do you think?

Thanks

are both mbw still responding when you access them?

When the copy fails the Windows XP PC that is connected to the VPN router as well which I use to log into the configuration screen gets frozen and I have to reboot it.

But other than that I can access both mbw with no problem.

So I’ve been trying to back up over 1.2TB of data to this device for days now. The small files copied over fine, but the large ones would lock the device up solid in a few minutes. I followed jdz2k suggestions for a fix and it appears like it worked it’s been backing up for hours now with no issue.

However, there was one side effect, my write speeds are a 1/3rd of what they used to be, I’m lucky to get 5MB/s now. Anyone else seeing a slowdown in the write speed? 

I will never buy another WD product again, this unit is the biggest piece of ■■■■ I’ve ever owned. The engineers at WD should be embarrassed they put this product out with all the issues it has.  

maybe its going slower so it wont overload, crash, and not copy all your files over to the mbw. that sounds about right for what your getting unless you have gigabit port router, etc.

Yeah it’s over a gigabit wired network. I was getting > 15 MB/s before the “fix”. Reads are as slow as the writes.

But I’ll take a slow stable system over a fast piece of ■■■■. :smiley:

Lars or any other reader of this forum,

Can you do me a favour and post the full copy of your S90smbd file.  Thankyou in advance.

Ladies & Gents

I’m also having this freeze problem, however solutins presented in this tread (and in this:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/WD-World-Edition-white-light-freezes-locks-up/td-p/99198/page/6) seems unfortunately beyond my understanding and to technical…

Is there bullpointed presentation for dummies on what to do - step by step anyplace in here?

Thanks,

BR Jøran

It sounds like you could use a managed file transfer platform. Here is what I use http://www.thruinc.com/products-services/managed-file-transfer/   It lets you send files or folders of any size as a regular email while also being completely secure and trackable.