How to cancel My Book World 1TB (White Light) Upgrade?

I checked for a firmware update and the update was found and downloaded (but only on one of my drives!). I now have an Upgrade button! How do I now cancel the Upgrade so I can wait for the next upgrade/update which shouldn’t be so ‘buggy’ as this one? 

Also if there is anybody out there that can tell me how to get my other drive to find the update (which has Firmware version 01.01.08 with MioNet 4.1.1.9 installed by WD when the drive went for repair) I would be extremly greatful as I would like to have both drives running the same Firmware.

Hoddy

ANY help or advice would be really welcome…  Thanks

Hoddy

If you’ve already done the upgrade on one of your drives, you can’t downgrade to the previous version.  Sorry. 

Bill,

You have misunderstood Hoddy.

I am in the same position.  I previously looked for - and downloaded - an upgrade which has resulted in an ‘Upgrade’ button on the control panel which will install the upgrade when pressed.  In light of the deficiencies in the latest release, I don’t want to install it.  However, when the next release becomes available I don’t have a ‘look for upgrade’ button.  It seems that if I ever want to upgrade I have to first install the version that is already downloaded. 

Ian

After rereading what he wrote, I’m not sure what he’s really asking, so I could have misunderstood.  I would probably contact Support to see if they can help with what you are asking, then.

To clarify - the firmware upgrade software has been downloaded to My Book World drive but I have not yet pressed the install button. So I can no longer ‘Check for Updates’ I only have the option of installing the downloaded update. After reading this board it seems this is not the thing to do!

So my question is: How do I remove the firmware update file? OR How do I get My Book World to give me the ‘Check for Updates’ option again?  I just want to be able to download and install the next available firmware update not install the update that has now been withdrawn!

Hoddy

There is no way to remove the firmware update file.   And you are in the place already to do the firmware update.  You won’t get it again until you complete this function.  And the fact is that the only firmware that’s available for the My Book World is the original 01.01.16.  So, you can go ahead and complete the function, and if you already have that firmware, then it will return you back to the passive “Check for update” state.  If not then it will update with the last most stable update.

As Hoddy says, from what we read in these forums it sounds as though there is a risk to our MBWE if we install the update.  Some people claim that this has led to their device being ‘bricked’.  If this is the case, then we really don’t want to go there.

There appears to be an option of a manual upgrade but the appropriate file needs to be made available.  Once the next version is released can it me made available through a normal download to allow a manual installation to be performed.  Alternatively, can a full factory reset be applied that will remove the (already) downloaded file from the automatic upgrade process?

So how about releasing the next firmware update so it can be installed manually as well as via the web (Brilliant idea IanMK13!)? This would solve ALL my problems as I also have another My Book World drive that won’t update via the web (before you ask it’s connected to the web and sends and receives files) it has firmware version: 01.01.08 with MioNet 4.2.27 which was installed by WD when the drive came back from being repaired. It reports that an update is not available as the server does not reconise the ffirmware version (installed by WD at the factory). I’m sure this would also be SO HELPFUL to SO MANY other people as well. So WD, how about releasing a MANUAL UPDATE version of the next firmware update? PLEASE…

Hoddy