Help with WD Myworldbook

I have the WD Worldbook (the one that connects to your router and works over the Local Area Network).

I have not used it for about 6 months and since using it last I have changed the router. No matter what I do it always shows as offline on my computer and I cannot access it.

I should add the the blue circle light in the front does not seem to come on when it is connected to the power

Am I able to access the external hard drive by connecting it directly to the computer with a usb cable? I have tried this but my computer didn’t recognize anything so I need to check if this is an option. If it can be does it make any difference if the device (i.e. extrnal hard drive) is connected to the power or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pine1,

The USB port of the WD My Book World Edition is used to expand the storage capacity by integrating a USB disk into the NAS as another share, and does not allow for the device itself to operate as a standard USB disk drive. Have you tried changing the Ethernet cable or confirming if your router assigns an IP address to the unit?

How do I ‘confirm if your router assigns an IP address to the unit’?

Pine1,

You would need to access your router’s configuration dashboard and look for the device client table for a list of currently assigned, active and inactive IP addresses managed by your router.