Fast Flashing on My Book World Edition II (White Light/New Edition)

Hi all.

I turned off my My Book World Edition II (White Light/New Edition) over the weekend (I don’t turn it off that often), and when turning back on, after boot, the whole white LED strip started to flash continuously.

What’s strange is that the data is accessible (mapped drive on XP), but the actual drive isn’t, either via WP Discovery or direct IP. I’ve tried the obvious troubleshoots—system reset, LAN connected or not, different power socket etc.—with no success.

I’ve been in touch with WD phone support (very helpful), but their only advise is to send it back. I’m sure you can appreciate that moving nearly a TB of data from a network drive is not really an option, not to mention putting it back on a new drive (it took around a week to get in on).

I’m sure there’s a simple explanation and fix for the flashing LEDs, since all the data is still accessible.

Any ideas how to sort this problem?

Thanks so much in advance!

Cheers, Mike.

i had fast flashing led when my book world II overheated once(above 69). i logged into the web interface and clicked ok on a message at the top that stated it overheated. of course i also removed items from the top of it and alls well since.

Cheers for the reply!

Luckily, now managed to log-in to the config page (I changed my network setup to be via a wireless router, instead of direct with a ‘switched’ ethernet, and seems to work). Getting this alert:

‘[Volume Status] Volume ‘DataVolume’ is in degraded mode’

Seems a drive has failed. Quite unbelievable after only 6 months!

Updated support, just waiting on a reply from them.

Will update thread, as soon as I know.

any news?

Yea, one of the hard-drives has ‘failed’!

Support has been very helpful, and have just sorted an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) on the failed drive. Luckily, I don’t have to send back the whole NAS unit, as first instructed.

Just as a pointer, think it was my anti-virus (Avast) that was blocking access to Config page. If you’re having probs accessing, try and turn your anti-virus off.

Any other Q’s?

Searched for a few days regarding this… apparently I’m having the same exact issue as you!

Did you email or call for support (RMA)?

For support, a bit of everything. I think you get a better picture of your problem that way (hence this post, also). I first called, really nice guy, immediate help, but advice was simply send the whole NAS unit back.

Most help, and RMA, came from email support, but it can take days for a reply, so bare that in mind.

Hope that helps.

I had this problem myself, but finally figured out how to stop the solid blinking light. I ran the WD Discover Tool, went to “configure”, & acknowledged that I realized 95% of the drive was used. Once I did that, the blinking light went away & works like it did prior to the blinking light. I thought too, after reading this post & replies, that one of the drives had failed. The status shows “good”, so I quickly figured out that a drive hadn’t gone bad. Try what I did to see what happens. Hope this helps.

Cheers for your input, Chuckster.

Yea, the ‘blinking’ light simply means the unit needs tending to. Once acknowledged, via config, the flashing light will stop. Unfortunately, in my case one of the drives was stated ‘missing’. After a few rounds with support, they deemed the drive ‘failed’ and sorted a replacement (under warranty). Unit is rebuilding (hopefully) as we speak.

This happened to me too, then it failed all together…

Dear All,

I have the same issue  Fast Flashing on My Book World Edition II (White Light/New Edition) and when i connect the my book to laptop every thing is ok,but when iam connect it to the switch the problem return and i can not access to the my book (also can not ping)

Any idea and how can i solve it??

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me on this one. I’m also having problems with My Book World Edition Fast Flashing.

When I checked the ‘Volume Status,’ this status appears. Can you please help me? I cannot access my harddrive (cannot find network path). I haven’t backed up my files yet.

Volume: DataVolume

Type: Span

Usage: unknown

Size: unknown