Drive Becomes Un-Accessible After short use

"The funniest: if you go to page1/post1 you 'll see that the problem is marked as “solved” !!!

See:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/ Drive-Becomes-Un-Accessible-After-short-use/td-p/3 …

And yes there is a solution!!! !!! !!!"

You’re kidding? Right?

My VPN is not “throwing it off.” I don’t have a VPN… Sorry…

And to reitierarte, here is where I’m at now:

"Can’t upgrade firmware (POS WDMBWE web-interface says its current - it is not)…

Disabled Twonky, Mionet, iTunes, AppleTalk. Still one day to a few hours uptime…

Even tried disabling S55mini_httpd - no effect…

Ditto power saving mode - no effect…"

blubbery wrote:

"The funniest: if you go to page1/post1 you 'll see that the problem is marked as “solved” !!!

See:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/ Drive-Becomes-Un-Accessible-After-short-use/td-p/3 …

You’re kidding? Right?

• *But that was their solution.  That’s why you need to start your own thread.

blubbery wrote:

And to reitierarte, here is where I’m at now:

"Can’t upgrade firmware (POS WDMBWE web-interface says its current - it is not)…

What version does the web interface show you having?

Hard to believe this has been going on since December with an escalation on the issue only occurring last Thursday!! Unreal.

I also am having the transfer failure consistently happening after 10-30 minutes or so of solid transfer. After lock up I am unable to ping the device, access the login page via a browser or access any of my shares mapped to my computers - despite the ability to still see the device attached to my router.

The only solution I have found to re-enable access to the device is a hard reboot.

I refuse to disable any services as a solution since this device should work without me disabling anything (although Mionet is disabled since it is a terrible service - disabling it sped up access times and transfer rates to/from the device considerably).

My network:

3 PCs (7, XP, Ubuntu)

1 Mac  (OS 10.6)

1 PS3

2 iPhones

1 Wii

None of the above are ever connected all simultaneously although that really should not make a difference

Router: Netgear WNDR3700

I’m extremely disappointed since I had hoped this would be a good backup storage device. On paper this looks great, but in real life use this device fails to copy even 10 GB of data before crashing.

I’m even more disappointed that this topic has been marked “Solved!” despite a WD employee posting that the issue is being “escalated.”

–Very disappointed customer

I’ve had this same issue since owning the device.  I’ve been moving avi’s from Digtal 8 backup and I can’t copy even 8gb without having to hard reboot.   How about a replacement WD folks.  

Bill_S wrote:

blubbery wrote:

See:

You’re kidding? Right?

• *But that was their solution.  That’s why you need to start your own thread.

Wait… are you saying that in order to get attention from Western Digital about this problem that I should be posting my nearly identical problem to other posters in this thread to a new thread?  Previously you posted that this issue was getting escalated and to post some pieces of useful information which I assume is to help WDC replicate the issue (which I did).  This later post I’m quoting is implying that the issue is resolved.  I’m thoroughly confused.

Do I continue posting in this thread to ensure we have a resolution to the drive becoming inaccessible after a few minutes of transfering data?

Or do I post this issue to a new topic thread since this one has been considered resolved?

If it’s the latter, you guys should consider locking this thread to avoid confusion.

Geez guys - is this nuts or what?

12 pages on this forum taken up with a problem that ‘everyone’ seems to have and yet no resolution from WD?

I have a 2TB ‘white light’ and have had the same issue since buying the drive 6 months ago. Just stumbled upon this forum out of desperation after WD recommended that I reset to factory defaults and destroy my backed up data (600Gb)

By the looks of it, this process is not guaranteed to solve the problem either and it sounds like it is plainly a waste of time to hack and scratch and pray and wish.

Could it be Memeo? I suspect that it may be. But disabling it means I cannot have a continuous backup running as I am doing. The whole point of buying the drive and Memeo Premium was to get a reliable continuous UNATTENDED backup. Sure, one expects a few hiccups here and there, but not with the consistency expressed on this forum/

On top of this, I am running Windows 7 and my main system reboots (BSOD) anywhere between 2 and 4 times when it starts up with the WD drive connected. Disconnect the WD and the system boots fine.

It seems to me that some on the forum retain faith that WD is going to solve this issue. Isn’t it better to pool our respective ideas and come up with a product that actually WORKS!?  Then we can all turf out WD and swing to a stable and reliable product. I for one have a business to run and I don’t have time to muck around with technology that does not do what it is supposed to do.

Does anyone recon we could submit a ‘class action’ for WD to refund the money we paid for a product that is not ‘fit for purpose’ (ie - it does not do what it is supposed to do with a reasonable degree of reliability)

Besides the BSOD on startup with Windows 7, I lose connection to the drive after 3 to 5 days like everyone else here.

If WD does not fix the issue, then why don’t we all just figure out a better product to go for?

Yes, sure it involves additional time and $$$, but heck, it sure will suit me as I simply don’t have the time to stuff around.

None of us should have to SSH and fiddle with Linux commands to make a product work for which the manufaturer should be taking full responsibility! In my business, if I don’t deliver, my customers don’t pay - simple. Why should WD be excluded from this?

*p**ed off!!

1 Like

Just came off the Acronis Forums and it seems people there also have trouble running NSB (NonStop Backups) with Acronic halting after 2% and 10% and 20% complete. That is no good either. (I use Acronis for my daily incremental imaging to another 1TB USB drive - yes backups and more backups after I lost a Seagate 1Tb due to the notorious firmware bug and it scared the pants off me as my data is worth plenty!)

Geez - does anything we buy actually WORK!!? or is it too much to ask1?

At least my WD does continuous backups albeit with some hiccups which - thank goodness - I am able to deal with even if it peeves me off.

And even a client of mine who uses the MAC Time Capsule reports that he loses connection every now and again.

It seems that aspirations and expectations exceed deliverables and we mortals are destined to be locked in the perpetual world of troubleshooting software on behalf of vendors.

**resigned sigh**

devnull wrote:

Wait… are you saying that in order to get attention from Western Digital about this problem that I should be posting my nearly identical problem to other posters in this thread to a new thread?  Previously you posted that this issue was getting escalated and to post some pieces of useful information which I assume is to help WDC replicate the issue (which I did).  This later post I’m quoting is implying that the issue is resolved.  I’m thoroughly confused.

Do I continue posting in this thread to ensure we have a resolution to the drive becoming inaccessible after a few minutes of transfering data?

Or do I post this issue to a new topic thread since this one has been considered resolved?

If it’s the latter, you guys should consider locking this thread to avoid confusion. 

If you read the beginning of this thread, it’s obvious that there was a mixture of things going on, but the original poster got his solution out of the process.  All I was saying was that you can’t blast the original poster because he got his solution and it doesn’t work for you.  And, yeah, it does make this thread seem like it’s solved; but I can’t remove the solution, so now we’re stuck. 

No, don’t start a new thread.  I have passed this along, and I have been requesting more info from all of you for the engineers to look at.  So, keep posting.  Let’s just trudge through this till we get results.  The My Book World is not going away, so we have to fix it.

I am including a link to another post you might want to review.  I don’t know if this will help those here but it worked for me and I have a WBEII WL with the same issues discussed in this thread.  I didn’t want to cross-post but the idea is to change the NIC configuration and doing this allowed me to copy 61gb in a 90 min window w/o a lockup.  Before the NIC config change the copy process was often unstable and usually required a power recycle to see the NAS again.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Network-connection-problems-when-uploading-large-files-to-USB/m-p/28887#M1269

I’m running a Macbook pro, snow leopard (10.6.4) with an Airport extreme (7.4.2).

I initially connected the MBWE directly to my mac to make sure it worked.  And no problems, I set up the time machine and away it went.  I left it running all night, and in the morning I had all the hourly updates and everything seemed fine.

So I hooked up the drive to my router, and then the problems started.  First it didn’t like the computer name, so I changed that to something simple.  It started a new set of backups, so I left it to it.  When I returned, it said it had failed, and when i tried to restart the backup it couldn’t connect.

I tried changing the password; logging in with as a different user; resetting; rebooting… with no effect.

I finally disabled time machine, thinking that I would try to start from scratch, but then the drive would not allow me to use the drive, giving me the OSServer Error 5 (or 2 if I logged on with a user ID).

So I logged in to the drive using the web interface to see the logs, and this is what I got:

06/19 16:32:17  everywhere daemon.info afpd[5058]: logout WD_Backup
 06/19 16:32:17  everywhere daemon.err afpd[5058]: Fatal error: cannot open CNID or invalid CNID backend for /DataVolume/.timemachine: cdb
 06/19 16:32:17  everywhere daemon.err afpd[5058]: Cannot open CNID db at [/DataVolume/.timemachine].
 06/19 16:32:17  everywhere daemon.err afpd[5058]: cnid_open: CATASTROPHIC ERROR opening database environment /DataVolume/.timemachine/.AppleDB. Run db_recovery -c immediately
 06/19 16:32:17  everywhere daemon.err afpd[5058]: cnid_open: dbenv->open (rw) of /DataVolume/.timemachine/.AppleDB failed: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
 06/19 16:32:17  everywhere daemon.info afpd[5058]: CNID DB initialized using Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
 06/19 16:32:17  everywhere daemon.info afpd[5058]: Setting uid/gid to 502/0
 06/19 16:32:17  everywhere daemon.warn afpd[5058]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /DataVolume/.timemachine. Using default.
 06/19 16:32:16  everywhere daemon.info afpd[5058]: login WD_Backup (uid 502, gid 1000) AFP3.2
 06/19 16:32:16  everywhere daemon.info afpd[5058]: dhx login: WD_Backup

I enabled the ssh login, and logged on.  I couldn’t find any sign of  db_recovery (mentioned in the log), which I assumed would be an application on the drive.  So I moved ‘/DataVolume/.timemachine/.AppleDB’ out of the way and retried.

And hey presto, time machine was allowed to connect.  I’m currently running the backup, which will take a while for the initial snapshot.

I’ll report if it falls over again.

Hello everyone,
I have been using my book world edtion white light 1tb for six weeks.  For the first couple of weeks it worked fine but sometimes I had mapping issue. Last two weeks it was frustrating. Mapping the drivers would take couple of resetting both the router and the storage and after that it would work for 20-30 minutes than it was impossible to reach it again. Sometimes because of the mybook world edition my internet connection dropped. When I unplugged ethernet cable from my router 30 seconds and connection came to life. I tried everything that i could find from forums. But nothing changed. I use linksys wag160n. I had started to think maybe it was the router causing the problems.

Yesterday I resetted everything again wag160n and mybook world. And I installed Linksys Easylink Advisor  and configured the network and internet settings from its software. Than guess what!!! it is working fine nowIT IS WORKING FINE NOW . I really couldnt understand what was the problem with previous settings. But there is just one reasonable explanation and it is windows 7 network configuration there is something wrong in it. I hope it will help some people having this kind of problems. I suggest them if they have linksys router try to configure everthing from begining using Linksys Easylink Advisor.

Welcome to “the club”!

It seems that you are lucky & found the solution for your system by accident…

Pls check it because my WDC stops working after 2-3 days - not at the same day.

For the rest of us… still waiting from WD a solution…

I hope that a lot of people reading this forum BEFORE buying this drive to prevent have such problems (=> to use another solution until we have a clear & formal aswer of what is happening & a solution!..)

I assumed that by the time I got thru a 12 page thread that says solution found that I would have found a solution, but I guess not.  I too have the same problem as explained on this thread.  Here’s some information that might help:

1)     What operating system are you using (XP, Vista, Win 7, Mac, Linux, etc.)?  Win7, Win7, XP

2)     What brand and model of router do you have? D-Link EBR-2310

3)     What other devices are on the network (other computers, PS3, switches, etc.)? Leviton 8 port switch, other computers, printer

I am experiencing the problem with a Win7 HP Desktop that I recently upgraded from Vista.  I had the same problem when the desktop was still Vista.  On my other Win7 desktop, I think I’ve got a totally separate problem that I will attach when I get this problem fixed - it somehow forgot that there was a backup plan associated with it.  The weirdest part of all of this is that I have never had this particular problem with my Dell XP laptop. 

I hope a resolution is found soon.  I really didn’t expect to have to waste the time I have on this issue.

“I hope a resolution is found soon.  I really didn’t expect to have to waste the time I have on this issue.”     

If you want a FAST solution, use dzentai’s at page 7 - or still wait with us for a solution from WD (i hope at 2010…)

Small guide on howto disable these services (only for latest MyBook World Edition II White version):

In the web configuration switch to Advanced Mode, then on the System tab using the Advanced button check the SSH Access checkbox on the top of the page, then Submit.

Using Putty or any other SSH client connect to your NAS’s IP address, and log in using “root” as username, and “welc0me” as password!

Now you are inside your NAS.

Type the following on the prompt (this will move/save the startup scripts to the /root/ folder and disable running of mionet main program):

mv  /etc/init.d/S9M_mionet  /root/

mv  /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver  /root/

chmod -x /usr/mionet/bin/cvm

then reboot your NAS with

reboot

Disable all other unused services in the web configuration to free up some more RAM and make your NAS more stable.   

I have had my MyBook World for around a year and it’s been working fine, until I got a new laptop with WIndows 7 (x64). Only since then has my MyBook World stopped responding occasionally (not always) when I try to connect to it, requiring a hard reset to get it out of this “sleep” state.

1)     XP and now Windows 7 (x64)

2)     Netgear DGN2000

3)     Windows XP PC. Windows 7 Laptop, PS3, Apple Mac

amav09 wrote:

“I hope a resolution is found soon.  I really didn’t expect to have to waste the time I have on this issue.”     

If you want a FAST solution, use dzentai’s at page 7 - or still wait with us for a solution from WD (i hope at 2010…)

Small guide on howto disable these services (only for latest MyBook World Edition II White version):

In the web configuration switch to Advanced Mode, then on the System tab using the Advanced button check the SSH Access checkbox on the top of the page, then Submit.

Using Putty or any other SSH client connect to your NAS’s IP address, and log in using “root” as username, and “welc0me” as password!

Now you are inside your NAS.

Type the following on the prompt (this will move/save the startup scripts to the /root/ folder and disable running of mionet main program):

mv  /etc/init.d/S9M_mionet  /root/

mv  /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver  /root/

chmod -x /usr/mionet/bin/cvm

then reboot your NAS with

reboot

Disable all other unused services in the web configuration to free up some more RAM and make your NAS more stable.   

I have considered doing this, but it doesn’t sound completely successful.  Plus, the steps above are a bit beyond my skill level. 

I have considered doing this, but it doesn’t sound completely successful.  Plus, the steps above are a bit beyond my skill level. 

I agree with you 100%.

But until now the only alternative that you have is to wait (…) or to find a nice tash can & put in your WD permanently… (or recycle…)

Of course you can try to call WD service support line.

Just want to add that I’m having this issue also.  My original 1Tb white light unit was sent back to WD for this issue.  The new drive they shipped me is also freezing in the same manner.  I’ve disabled Mionet and Twonky and still have the drive freeze up every so often.  It seems to happen randomly with every day usage, but it will consistently freeze when large files or large #s or files are transferred.

OS’s in the house:  7, Vista, XP

Router: Linksys wrt54g with stock firmware

Devices: Belkin 8 port switch, Wii, 2 iPhones, iPad, connected sony blu ray, tivo s2, tivo premier.  Freezes happen with and without all this hardware (yes I checked each of them).

My OS on the drive is up to date according to the web-page updater. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE develop a fix asap!  Thank you in advance.