Cant log into MyBook World Anymore with Mac OSX Lion

Not sure if anyone else posted this, but I found this on the net and I am once again able to use my WD MyBookWorld.  I tried updating the firmware, but it was already current.  The fix is actually on the mac side, since apple decided to remove support for a particular communication method they deemed as insecure.  Since I am on a closed network, I could care less.  So here’s the mac side fix:

Find the Terminal application in the Applications → Utilities folder and run it.

type the following two lines, one at a time

sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1

Restart your computer

Connect to WD MyBookWorld via GO → Connect To Server… → BROWSE → Connect As → Type name and pass

Run the terminal program again (it may still be open if you restarted and left it open) and type the following two lines:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0” “2-Way Randnum exchange”

sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences

Restart your computer

and then when you do, you should be able to access your shares again.  Most likely time machine will be happy too.

p.s.  One of the lines is wrapping above, there is a space on the line wrap, here’s the 2nd half of that line:

“Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0” “2-Way Randnum exchange”

pps.  If WD ever does change the firmware to address this issue, to undo what we just did type this in the terminal window:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128”