Cannot find and load the MyBook NAS

I’ve bought the WD MyBook World Edition II (White Lite).

I’ve set in on the router. The router is wireless accessed by my computers in the house.

On my HP notebook with both Vista and Windows 7 I cannot connect to the MyBook.

I have set In the installation CD, but when using the application installer, clicking “accept” and “Next” in the connect box, I chose the 1) WD Discovery tool. Network drives found: NONE - It says: “No network device was discovered”.

I can get access to the MyBook by following the web address for it. But that gives me nothing to work with.

PLEASE HELP…

Look at your Router settings for an option “DHCP”. Activate this (if not still activated). Then the WDMB should receive an IP from this router. Normally you can see on the router a client list (in the place of the DHCP settings), which IP an PC etc. has get via DHCP. So you have your IP from the NAS and can connect to it.

Or first try to connect your PC directly via Cable to the Router and start the discovery.

D-u-d-e wrote:

Look at your Router settings for an option “DHCP”. Activate this (if not still activated). Then the WDMB should receive an IP from this router. Normally you can see on the router a client list (in the place of the DHCP settings), which IP an PC etc. has get via DHCP. So you have your IP from the NAS and can connect to it.

Or first try to connect your PC directly via Cable to the Router and start the discovery.

Same problem here.  The drive *is* active, as I can ping it, I can use a web browser (Internet Explorer) to logon to the network configuration screens and change settings.  I can even access the drive using an ftp client to move files to the drive.  But when I try to use the Discovery Tool I get the same error message… “No network device is found.”

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Regards,

Chris

The Discovery Tool also not worked for me at the beginning, from one day to another it found my NAS, but you really dont need this Tool if you still have access to the NAS. You can do nothing with this “tool” you cant to by yourself with Windows.

D-u-d-e wrote:

You can do nothing with this “tool” you cant to by yourself with Windows.

• *> True, *except* that means I can’t use the backup software that comes with the drive.  So, yes, I can get around the problem by installing and using another backup application, but it seems *very* strange to me that WD’s own software can’t see their drive when everyone else’s software can!  So, I’m still open to suggestions/tips on how to resolve this so that I *can* use WD’s backup software.> Another problem that has cropped up…  my wife uses a MacIntosh laptop.  She has followed the directions that come in the “Quick Start Guide” for connecting to the drive using OSX Leopard.  When she clicks on the Finder, the drive shows up in the “Shares” section.  However, when she tries to open the drive, Finder says it’s “Connecting…” for a short time, and then the drive is removed from the “Shares” section and all she can see is her local drives/folder.  In other words, her Mac can’t seem to connect to the drive.> Anyone have a solution for this one???> Thanks, again, for any help/suggestions provided.> Regards,  Chris

D-u-d-e wrote:

The Discovery Tool also not worked for me at the beginning, from one day to another it found my NAS, but you really dont need this Tool if you still have access to the NAS. You can do nothing with this “tool” you cant to by yourself with Windows.

So very true.  None of my Vista and WinXP machines can use the Discovery tool to find the NAS, but Windows does every time.

…now if I could just get Vista  to remember the user name and password for my WD Shares :mansad:

Had the same problem - and it was really annoying not to have a full installation of the backup sw.

However - when I activated the UPnP on my router and restarted it - it worked!

Don’t ask me why - but I saw this mentioned somewhere when I browsed aroud for solution.

Found it here.

Perfect erik!    :smileyvery-happy:

Enabling UPnP resolved my issue with running WD Discovery.

Thank you again :smiley: