Can NOT delete files on NAS White led 1.5TB - TWONKY Problem

Are you running the latest firmware? If you go to Advanced Mode → Update, what version does it show? If you click “Check For New Firmware,” does it report that an update is available?

Sure, I wrote that I use 01.01.16 and it seems to be the latest since no updates available.

I too am having this problem…  I saved some files to the root of the Public/Shared Videos directory.  When I went to move them I was given the same error.  I don’t see how to turn off Twony so I removed the Shared Videos directory from its grasp.  Still no luck.

I ended up FTP-ing into the box using WINSCP using my admin credentials and one by one I was able to delete the files at the root of the Shared Videos folder.  It seems that anything in a sub-folder I can delete.

In an earlier update, I claimed I had success connecting via SMB/CIFS instead of using AFP from Snow Leopard.  However, that success must have been short lived, since I’m now getting the same error even with SMB.  So I’m still without a clue on how to resolve this issue, save for a firmware update that I’m hoping will arrive to fix the issue.  Until then, I can only delete using the Terminal app from Snow Leopard.  For those Windows users that asked how I did this, remember that OS X is a Unix OS so I can use the command line to access the share.  I am not using telnet or anything.  Same would hold for any Linux users.

If there isn’t a resolution to this soon, I’ll probably end up returning the unit to Amazon.  

I forgot to note…I can delete the files if I delete the whole folder though, which is odd.  So the files are definitely not “in use” or the folder delete would fail.  I just can’t delete files directly by selecting them in the subfolders.

This is what I did, it worked for me:

1. Moved the files back to PC/MAC, they all came back to normal.

2. Restored the NAS to initial condition (no data, no settings). There is such an option in ‘advanced’ (If I remember correctly).

3. Moved the files back to NAS.

4. Didn’t touch twonky, didn’t even enter it.

5. Left all shared folders empty just in case.

Everything works so far.

I’ve given up on this thing.  I tried Jacob’s approach and reset everything to factory defaults.  That worked for about a day and now I’m back to not being able to delete anything.

I don’t know what else to do and WD Support has responded to my request for help after more than a week.  I’m going to try to return this to Amazon in exchange for something else.

Sorry to hear that.
Did it return to this condition by itself?

Public is the default share on the MyBook World Edition. Inside Public there are three folders

1> Shared Music

2> Shared Pictures

3> Shared Videos.

These shares cannot be modified nor it can be deleted as they are on the firmware of the drive itself.

Most of the times, the files that are copied on the drive cannot be deleted. This can be due to the Firmware issue. Reset the drive, i,e. unplug the Ethernet cable from the unit and with the Unit Power ON, hold down the Reset button for atleast 40Sec, then reconnect the LAN cable back to the device. Wait for 2-minutes and then try to delete the data.

It should work.

Got an answer from WD support as follows:

“I apologize for the inconvenience; It appears your drive is defective, I would suggest replacing it.
Please see below for your data recovery and drive replacement options.”

As I wrote few posts ago, I stopped using all SHARED folders and leave them all empty. Is was my solution to the problem.

Jacob, I ran into a similar problem trying to delete a couple of folders from my Public/Shared Music folder, stating I needed permissions granted by Unix User/root to perform the required action.  I found a way around it hopefully it may work for you:

Go to the configuration of the drive

Enable FTP

Open a browser / explorer and navigate to:  ftp://admin@

When prompted enter the password for your admin account for the Network Storage Manager

Navigate to the folders you require to delete and attempt to delete

I had tried a number of times to figure this problem out and the approach above finally worked for me.

Hi, since I saw your post I’ve been trying to restore the conditions in which I have the permissions problem.
No luck so far.

When I had the problem, couldn’t solve it. When I want to restore the problem, can’t get it done.
I think I’ll consult the WD Mystery department.

Thanks ViscountUK. I’ll report back as soon as I’ll get it (not) working.

Surely WD can’t assume this problem is with the hardware and have everyone return their unit.  I received my unit back in Dec and immediately updated the firmware to the latest version and have the problem.  Did anyone have this problem with earlier firmware versions?

If someone from WD is monitoring this discussion can you please advise when a firmware solution will be available?

Gee, I thought I was the only one having this problem…except mine is on the 2TB  MyBookWorld White LED drive.  My issue only affects MS Office Suite files.  They come back as “Open by another user” when I try to access them via the network…funny though, I can access them via MioNet with no problem.

The MioNet Tech I contacted also said it was a hardware problem…If so, that is going to be a Toyota-size return problem for WD…

I have the same problem. Can’t access twonky, can’t access shared folders, can’t update firmware, can’t find NAS via WD discovery; Can’t find Upnp server via network player!

I’m experiencing the same problems with the three shared folders. I copied content into the folders and now i can’t delet it anymore. This only concerns files and not folders. All folders with data I can delete, move and update. For al files I get the error message that I need permission from Unix user/nobody.

I’m running Win7 and the WD Mybook 1TB World Edition with Firmware upto date. I dont think its a Windows problem anyway. Its rather a Twonky or Firmware problem from WD.

Edit: No deleting possible over FTP Server.

I also contacted the support center. Lets see what their solution to resolve this problem is.

Copy the data from MyBook back to PC, reset the Hard drive to its initial condition and copy it back, never touch the twonky.
All should be back to normal.
Regarding the WD support, they will tell you that this is a hardware problem. Thats what they told me.

WDsupport is doing an awesome job! 5 days passed and they havn’t responded to my request.

The next problem that occured: I cant acces my Drive settings anymore. I recieve this error message:

My Book World Edition - MyBookWorldWarning: Unknown(): open(/tmp/sess_61a9664015e720f1567195841504e7c9, O_RDWR) failed: Read-only file system (30) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

No acces over ftp, http or wd discovery? WTF!!!

This drive is the worst drive I ever connected to my network!

I have the WD NAS with the white light stripe for about 2 weeks now.  I copied some files there and later found I could not delete them.   I came to this forum for answers. 

(Quick update since there are MAC users here: I am running Windows 7)

After several things(reset, copy(althought not authorized to cut) , this was best solution which worked for me.

1.  Download  WINSCP (its a file manager and its free)

2.  Install and log in using your IP address and admin credentials.  (U don’t have to use SSH…just use FTP option)

3.  There is a really nice and understandable interface.  Just click the fle and F8 to delete.

For as often as I will be deleting files, this works for me. Again I understand that for some guys just the fact it does not work like its supposed to drives them on a quest till its solved.  I am like that for some things, but this one was just not worth it to me if I have another option.   Other than that I was going to send it back which is such a hassle.  So try this first.  It may hold you over till WD has the fix and then u can do it.

1 Like

Had same problem with a My Book World Ed. 1TB - had to access it with FTP client before I could delete directories and files.

Thanks for the tip  :smileyvery-happy:

Something is wrong with the Linux/Windows integretion of file and directory attributes and that’s not uncommen when CIFS and NFS (WIndows and UNIX) are trying to access the same files.