Regular Advisor
Jacob

Can NOT delete files on NAS White led 1.5TB - TWONKY Problem

[ Edited ]

Hi,
I have a folder called Shared Videos on Public and  I found  that I can't modify it. I can add new files but can NOT delete or rename. All I get is : You require permission from Unix User\Nobody to make changes to this file.
Why is that?

UPDATE: Rebooting didn't help. Still have this Unix user/nobody issue.

UPDATE 2: I moved the files back to internal HDD, restored the NAS to initial condition.
When on hdd, the files above were modifiable.

UPDATE 3: I noticed that I lose all permissions anly after I ask TWONKY server to search for media.
I restored the NAS again to initial condition and all worked well. Now I don't touch twonky.

Do you know how to kill/remove/uninstall twonky server ?

Jacob
Occasional Advisor
areichman

Re: Can NOT delete files on NAS White led 1.5TB - TWONKY Problem

[ Edited ]

I'm having similar problems with a World Edition II (2x1TB) system.  I can successfully copy files to folders in the Public share or a share that I've created separately through the web interface.  But after that, I cannot delete the files using the Snow Leopard finder.  I can only delete files through the terminal.

Any attempt to delete a file through the Finder yields an error message similar to the following:

The operation can’t be completed because the item “myfile.jpg” is in use.

Anybody else having this problem or know how to resolve it?  

-Aaron

Occasional Advisor
areichman

Update from previous post...

Instead of connecting to the NAS through the Shared server list in the Finder sidebar, I connected using the "Go -> Connect to Server" menu in the Finder instead, but this time accessing the share through SMB instead of AFP.  

After I connected (either as Guest or Admin) using SMB I was able to now delete files.  So to me, it looks like there is a bug with the AFP connection to this device that limits the permissions on the files or something else wonky.

FYI, I'm using firmware 01.01.16.

-Aaron

Regular Advisor
Jacob

[ Edited ]

Hi Aaron,

I understand that you are not a windows user.
you wrote:

areichman wrote:

After I connected (either as Guest or Admin) using SMB I was able to now delete files.  So to me, it looks like there is a bug with the AFP connection to this device that limits the permissions on the files or something else wonky.

FYI, I'm using firmware 01.01.16.

-Aaron

Now, SMB and CIFS fow two names for the same protocol.

Doesn't the connection between NAS and windows works on CIFS by default?
Another question is how did you access the NAS via terminal? I can't do it via telnet.
I use firmware 01.01.16.

Jacob
Frequent Advisor
NAS-T

Are you running the latest firmware? If you go to Advanced Mode -> Update, what version does it show? If you click "Check For New Firmware," does it report that an update is available?

Regular Advisor
Jacob

Sure, I wrote that I use 01.01.16 and it seems to be the latest since no updates available.

Jacob
Occasional Visitor
y2skippy

I too am having this problem...  I saved some files to the root of the Public/Shared Videos directory.  When I went to move them I was given the same error.  I don't see how to turn off Twony so I removed the Shared Videos directory from its grasp.  Still no luck.

I ended up FTP-ing into the box using WINSCP using my admin credentials and one by one I was able to delete the files at the root of the Shared Videos folder.  It seems that anything in a sub-folder I can delete.

Occasional Advisor
areichman

In an earlier update, I claimed I had success connecting via SMB/CIFS instead of using AFP from Snow Leopard.  However, that success must have been short lived, since I'm now getting the same error even with SMB.  So I'm still without a clue on how to resolve this issue, save for a firmware update that I'm hoping will arrive to fix the issue.  Until then, I can only delete using the Terminal app from Snow Leopard.  For those Windows users that asked how I did this, remember that OS X is a Unix OS so I can use the command line to access the share.  I am not using telnet or anything.  Same would hold for any Linux users.

If there isn't a resolution to this soon, I'll probably end up returning the unit to Amazon.  

Occasional Advisor
areichman

I forgot to note...I can delete the files if I delete the whole folder though, which is odd.  So the files are definitely not "in use" or the folder delete would fail.  I just can't delete files directly by selecting them in the subfolders.

Regular Advisor
Jacob

This is what I did, it worked for me:

1. Moved the files back to PC/MAC, they all came back to normal.

2. Restored the NAS to initial condition (no data, no settings). There is such an option in 'advanced' (If I remember correctly).

3. Moved the files back to NAS.
4. Didn't touch twonky, didn't even enter it.
5. Left all shared folders empty just in case.

Everything works so far.

Jacob
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD