Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Collector
alexs77

WD10TPVT darn slow in MacBook Pro

Hello!

I've bought and installed a WD10TPVT in a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 13" Unibody system with 4 GB RAM and OS X 10.6.6. I ran the "AJA System Test" from http://www.aja.com/products/software/ and got:

Aja, 2 GB - WD10TPVT = ~35MBs.png

Aja, 2 GB - WD10TPVT = ~35MBs.png

Ie. with a file size of 128 MB, I get a result of 9 MB/s for write performance and 15 MB/s for read; with 2 GB, I get 35 MB/s and 38 MB/s. The system was pretty much idle when I ran the test. On some other forum, I found this result:

Ie. more than 70 MB/s! There are other reports which are in the same "speed range".

Granted, I don't know exactly what kind of system they've got. But my results seem to be extraordinary slow, don't they?

I used the OS X Diskutility to create 2 partitions on the drive - 960 GB for OS X with HFS+ Journal and 40 GB FAT for Bootcamp/Windows. On the OSX partition, there are about 760 GB available right now; I used CCC to transfer data from the old, original 250 GB disk to it. As I understand, CCC basically just does a filecopy from old -> new (using rsync, it seems). Per the "WD Advanced Format Technology Brief Flyer", on OSX, nothing needs (or even can?) be done for the Advanced Format / 4096 bytes/sector.

Any idea what might be causing the slowness?

Thanks,

Alexander

Esteemed Contributor
Lawrence

Re: WD10TPVT darn slow in MacBook Pro

You need to align the guid partition first

"Study the lie and they will make new lies up...Study the truth and you will know when the lie comes."
Collector
alexs77

Lawrence,

how would you do that? According to the WD docs, on OSX, nothing needs to be done.

Do you have more information, please?

Thanks a lot,

Alexander

Occasional Visitor
jake_d

Hello,

I could do with more information on this too.

I have the same HD in the same computer (2009 13" MBP, 8GB Ram, 10.6.6 etc.) and get pretty slow performance. 

cheers

jake

Collector
alexs77

jake_d,

I originally had slow performance as shown in my original test.

But when I now run it, it's fast, see http://min.us/mvb4LEB#3

On the min.us site, you can also find the AJASystemTest test program.

I am pretty sure, that I didn't do anything special to make it go fast (certainly not doing something as special as aligning it to 4k sectors manually - OSX might have done this by itself).

Sorry, I know this is not a perfect answer, but that's the way it is… :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Alexander

Occasional Visitor
jake_d

mine seems to be way quicker than it was and I didnt do anything particular, repaired permissions etc, cleared out some trivia... everything seems to be groovy with this drive now

That little app is great for a quick **bleep** check, thanks for that and taking the time to reply.

best regards

jake

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD