Occasional Visitor
d0nnyoz

WD Scorpio Blue 250GB - unreadable

Hi

I have just bought this new disk from Ebay and initially things were going really well - I was very pleased with my purchase. The reason I purchased the disk was because my other internal SATA 2.5" disk had given up, so I thought I would install a larger disk, reload Windows Vista and then attempt to repair or backup my existing data from the old disk.

This I did with some success. (So much so that I'm now using the old disk!)

After about 2-3 weeks of running on my new Scorpio Blue, I restarted Vista (I tend not to restart if I can help it!), and then when it loaded up I got an error:

\windows\system32\config\system

Windows failed to load the system registry file... missing or corrupt

To cut a long story short, I simply replaced the disk with my old disk and got back up and running. I then put my new Scorpio Blue into a SATA caddy and connected via USB, but the disk is unreadable and generally locks my computer up. I've tried to reading it as an attached drive in Windows Explorer but it simply doesn't appear. I tried looking for it in the Computer Management section of the Admin Tools, but this simply locks up whilst connecting to Virtual Disk Manager....

I also have other tools I use for disk, one is a Partition Manager and also a data restorer, but these fail to load when the disk is attached. If I remove the disk the applications run perfectly.

Sometimes when I pull the USB plug out, I get a Windows message saying the disk needs formating, but I can't understand how I can do this as Windows doesn't recognise the disk (until I remove it!).

Is there anyway of reading this disk and perhaps formatting it?

Or resetting the disk?

Or is there some software I can use to read it properly?

Would any Linux OS be able to read it? (I have Linux installed on another HD I use for emergencies).

Many thanks for your help.

Donald

Honored Contributor
ThePizzaMatrix

Re: WD Scorpio Blue 250GB - unreadable

Hi dude... Yep, all points out to a corrupted drive..... What if you try another computer and write zeroes to it using WD's DLG (Which would "reset" the drive by completely erasing all, even the format)?

Hope it helps!

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Visitor
d0nnyoz

Thanks for the advice but nothing can read the disk.

I attached the disk and loaded up the DLG application, but it completely locked my computer!

As I say, I think the disk needs a complete external reset if it is possible. The disk is simply not readable by a computer.

I even loaded up Ubuntu and attempted it through GParted, but nothing!

Is there any way of resetting a disk externally?

How can I wipe the disk without connecting it?

Occasional Visitor
d0nnyoz

I just thought I would say that I have solved this issue and I am currently running off my new, re-wiped Scorpio Blue 250GB SATA disk!

Here's how....

I installed the disk in my machine and booted from UltimateBootCD, then used the tools on that CD to wipe and format the disk.

The above makes it sound straight forward, but I can tell you it wasn't.

Most of the tools on UBCD detected errors on the disk and most partition managers couldn't create a partition.

In the end, good old FDISK did the trick. I deleted all known partitions and then create another, set it as ACTIVE and then started the process of re-installing Windows Vista from my OEM DVD.

Thanks for you help and I'm glad to share my experience!

Occasional Visitor
tonyos2

Re: WD Scorpio Blue KGB - not bootable

I got a similar error on Wed except it was for the ntoskrnl.exe.  This was on a WD Scorpio Blue 250B drive a bought new, that I imaged from an older drive to after preparing the drive using the CD that came with the WD drive.

It was working fine for approx  2 months then I got an error during boot.

"\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe  ....failed to load the file is missing or corrupt."

So tried to repair it using Windows repair (thinking the file was corrupt after a recent update). That did not work,

Then  I got an error:

\windows\system32\config\system

Windows failed to load the system registry file... missing or corrupt.

Then a tried it again and got a  \windows\system32\hal.dll  ....failed to load the file is missing or corrupt.

Now it looks like the drive has an issue.

I ran the WD utilities it found nothing.  (Have not done the write zeros, I was hoping to preserve most of my data left).

Next I tried a SpinRite, it's test failed it. "Spinrite’s final verification of its ability to safely read and write to this drive has failed!"

So I then tried to re-image the Scorpio drive (1) from the older drive (2) using GHOST and that too failed with the following error.  "Bad block(s) encountered on read: 0x1, Drive:1, 2 sectors starting from absolute sector 6815427"

Next I will attempt to reinstall Windows XP from scratch deleting the partition and reformatting.

Or writing zeros to the drive using WinDlg_122.

The concern is if the drive has bad sectors neither of those guarantees the installation and integrity. 

Does WD have a utility that can check and correct or mark sectors?

Any suggestions?

Occasional Visitor
momu123

Sir pls teach me how to use UBCD to fix my unreadable 250GB WD scorpio hard disk
Occasional Visitor
Batfink

Similar issue

replaced screen on laptop , rebooted but got harddrive unreadable error

purchased new wd250bevt from BT shop

worked fine for 2 weeks then got same error

just tried WD recovery got error 0120 - no drive found

any ideas or should i return the new drive?

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD