Regular Visitor
Donpuia

WD Scorpio Blue 250 GB WS2500BPVT password protected problem

Hello,

i have a WD Scorpio Blue 250 GB, model WS2500BPVT, witch i think is password protected. I have bought this on a local flee market. When i connect the hdd as the second driver get recognized in bios, but in windows apears as not initialized. If i want to initialize i get an I/O error.

HDD diagnostic program called "Victoria" detected that is password protected. How could i remove the password, the data on it can be lost i dont care about that.

Please help me, thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor
fzabkar

Re: WD Scorpio Blue 250 GB WS2500BPVT password protected problem

AIUI, some drives will appear to be password protected if they have an internal fault. Assuming your drive really does have a password, and assuming that its default master password has not been changed, then an ATA Secure Erase should work.

See http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/hughes/SecureErase.html and http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/HDDEraseReadMe.txt

Regular Visitor
Donpuia

thanks for the info, if this dosent help can i RMA the hdd ? have waranty until 2013 ...

Regular Visitor
Donpuia

I tried but with no succes, the drive is not detected by bios and by programs, can i send it to RMA ?

Honored Contributor
fzabkar

Your posts are inconsistent. You began by saying that your drive was detected by BIOS and Victoria, but now you are saying something else.

If your drive truly is invisible to BIOS, then you should be entitled to a warranty replacement.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD